Modi visits Nathu-La, the last post on China border(PHOTOS)October 16, 2009
Modi visits Nathu-La, the last post on China border(PHOTOS)
By our correspondent
Ahmedabad DeshGujarat, 16 October, 2009
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on second day of his Sikkim visit today reached Nathula Pass, the last Indian defense post at the height of 15,000 ft. Modi participated in Diwali celebration of Jawans and offered sweets and a gift on behalf of the people of Gujarat to the soldiers.
Modi visited a Shahid Smarak that has been built in memory of 27 Indian martyred soldiers who were killed in 1967 by Chinese Army in fencing dispute.
About Nathu La pass
Nathu La is one of the three trading border posts between China and India; the other two are Shipkila in Himachal Pradesh and Lipulekh (or Lipulech) in Uttarakhand. Sealed by India after the 1962 Sino-Indian War, Nathu La was re-opened in 2006 following numerous bilateral trade agreements. The opening of the pass is expected to bolster the economy of the region and play a key role in the growing Sino-Indian trade. Currently, agreements between the two nations limit trade across the pass to 29 types of goods from India and 15 from the Chinese side. The opening also shortens the travel distance to important Hindu and Buddhist pilgrimage sites in the region.
The road to Nathula is one of the highest motorable roads in India. This road passes through Tsomgo Lake on its way to Nathula Pass. For the most of the part of the year, this tranquil place remains covered under a thick layer of snow. A special permit is required in order to visit Nathula Pass.
Here, you can see Chinese armed forces shielding their side of the border. In the present day, tourists are permitted to visit Nathu La on certain days (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday) of a week.
- Gujarat govt approves development of grasslands in 91 Panjrapols
- 8 dead in Shrey hospital fire incident in Ahmedabad
- In pictures: Celebrations in Gujarat over groundbreaking of Ram Janmbhumi Mandir
- AMC declares 24 more Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 17
- 1073 new cases of Covid-19 in 24 hours in Gujarat, 23 deaths, 1046 recoveries
- 10 hour power to farmers in North and Central Gujarat from August 7
- Detailed concept plan of proposed Ram Janmabhumi Mandir in Ayodhya
- In pictures: PM Narendra Modi's mother Hiraba watching Live telecast of Ayodhya event