Bhuj’s Hamirsar lake overflows, Kutch starts celebrating itAugust 08, 2010
Bhuj’s Hamirsar lake overflows, Kutch starts celebrating it
Bhuj, DeshGujarat, 8 August, 2010
In Gujarat’s Kutch district, a 500-year-old Hamirsar lake of capital town Bhuj is so important for locals that, they celebrate whenever this lake overflows during monsoon. The people of Bhuj town observe one-day holiday after Hamirsar lake overflows.
On Sunday, when the lake was full of water, the news spread like wild fire. Many people were thronging the talav, performing puja on its banks, hundreds were pouring in just for a dekko…
Local body has declared a ceremony to celebrate Hamirsar’s water on Monday.
Records at the district collectorate say the talav has overflown just 18 times since Independence, all joyous occasions, enough for the administration to declare an official holiday.
Hundreds of Kutchis settled abroad are calling Bhuj to confirm this news. The Hamirsar overflowing has sent ripples of joy all across.
- Names of winners of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE awards 2019 announced, 2 of 21 awardees from Gujarat
- Shri Somnath Trust resumes Light and Sound show after monsoon break
- Former PM Shri H.D. Deve Gowda praises the PM for making of Statue of Unity
- IT raids/surveys at various places in Ahmedabad, Large amount of cash, other suspicious details reportedly found
- Nayara Energy inks contract with thyssenkrupp Industrial solutions for setting up petrochemical units in Vadinar of Gujarat
- Vadnagar - Mahesana, Asarva - Himmatnagar DEMU trains launched