Five from Gujarat to get Padma award this yearJanuary 25, 2011
Five from Gujarat to get Padma award this year
Ahmedabad, 25 January, 2011
The President of India has approved the conferment of Padma Awards-2011. This year the President has approved 128 awards including one duo case (counted as one) and 12 in the category of Foreigners/ NRIs/ PIOs/ Posthumous. These comprise 13 Padma Vibhushan, 31 Padma Bhushan and 84 Padma Shri Awards. There are 31 ladies among the awardees. Following are the award winners from Gujarat.
India’s first woman photographer Vadodara based Mrs. Homai Vyarawalla will get Padma Vibhushan for Art – Photography.
Ahmedabad based late Shri Darshrath Patel has been selected for Padma Bhushan award in the area of art. Shri Patel was one of those who established National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad.
Gujarat’s Kanubhai hasmukhbhai Tailor will get Padma Shri award for Social work. Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi who is in Surat personally congratulated Shri Kanubhai who has worked for handicapped people. Kanubhai himself is handicapped.
Dr. Mahesh Haribhai Mehta’s name has been announced for Padma Shree award in Science and Engineering – Agricultural Science area.
Another name from Gujarat in Padma Shree award winers list is Shri Pravin Darji in the area of Literature and Education.
Padma Awards, the country’s highest civilian awards, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in all disciplines/ fields of activities, viz. art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc. ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year. The awards are conferred by the President of India at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhawan sometime around March/ April.
- ATS nabs serial killer wanted for killing 3 in Gujarat
- Met issues fresh heavy rainfall warning for parts of Gujarat for next 4 days
- Water level of the Sardar Sarovar Narmada dam receding again after touching the historic FRL mark of 138.68 meter for the first time
- Will bring Indian envoys here for annual meet, this is start of New India: EAM S Jaishankar at Statue of Unity
- Full Reservoir Level 138.68 m achieved for the first time ever in Sardar Sarovar Narmada dam, the lifeline of Gujarat
- Sardar Sarovar Narmada dam 99.56% full at 1 pm today, Just 13 cm below over-flow mark