Medha Patkar fined Rs.5000 for not appearing in courtMarch 10, 2011
Medha Patkar fined Rs.5000 for not appearing in court
New Delhi, 10 March, 2011
Metropolitan court in Delhi today imposed fine of Rs.5,000 on Narmada Bachao Aandolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar for failing to appear before it and seeking exemption from personal appearance, in cases of defamation filed by her and V.K Saxena, president of Ahmedabad-based NGO National Council For Civil Liberties against each other.
The court ordered to impose a cost of Rs.200 on the NBA leader in another defamation case filed against her by Saxena. Medha Patkar’s counsel had sought exemption for her personal appearance, saying she was unable to appear before the court as she missed her flight from Indore. However the court noted that this was not the first time she was seeking exemption. Moreover O.P. Malaviya, counsel for Saxena, strongly opposed the plea of Patkar saying that it was not supported by any document. Malaviya said that the cost of Rs. 1,000 in each two cases were imposed on her for the same reason earlier as Patkar has not been attending the court proceedings regularly.
Saxena had filed the case in Ahmedabad but it was later transferred to New Delhi by the Supreme Court on the plea of Patkar, who said that she feared for her life in Gujarat.
The court posted the matter for May 6.
- Reliance Jewels celebrates 12th Anniversary with ‘Aabhar’ collection
- In a surprising 'U' turn, Bhajan singer Hemant Chauhan a day after wearing saffron, claims he had not joined BJP
- Rupani, Nitin, Jadeja to travel to Goa tomorrow to participate in a meeting chaired by HM Amit Shah
- Gujarat cabinet decides to allot 31 hectare land in Waghodia for Rail University at 50% of market price
- Entire claim process under Gujarat Social Group (Public) Accidental Insurance Scheme soon to be online: Govt
- Narmada dam water level at historic 133.19 meter mark at 3 pm on August 21