Gujarat’s Babubhai Panocha qualified for the London OlympicsJune 27, 2011
Gujarat’s Babubhai Panocha qualified for the London Olympics
Ahmedabad, 27 June, 2011
With impressive performances at the 18th Dublin International Grand Prix of Race Walking, Gujarat’s Babubhai Panocha has qualified for the 20 km walk at the 2012 London Olympics along with other Indian sportsman Gurmeet Singh.
Babubhai and Singh have also made the cut for the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea from August 27.
National champion Gurmeet Singh clocked 1:22:05, finishing 9th in the 20km event held at Phoenix Park, Dublin Sunday. Gurmeet bettered the ‘A’ standard of Olympic qualification 1:22:30.
Babubhai Panocha returned a personal best of 1:23:04 and finished 11th. He bettered the ‘B’ standard of qualification (1:24:30). China’s Wang Zhen (1:19:46) won the event.
The race was held under trying conditions with a heat wave making it difficult for the competitors to finish the race. Only seven of the 18 walkers completed the race. Finland’s Antti Kempas won the race in 4:02:37.
- Offense registered in Umreth for insult of national tricolor
- Six new covid hospitals added, additional beds in existing three: AMC
- AMC approves three hotels/hostel to function as Covid Care Centres
- 32 more caste groups added to the list of Bin Anamat Varg in Gujarat
- AMC announces 45 new Micro Containment Zones in Ahmedabad city
- 1510 new cases of coronavirus in a day in Gujarat: State Health department
- India bans 43 mobile apps
- PM Modi's remark at the meeting with Chief Ministers on Covid-19