Core part of Palitana would serve only Jain foodAugust 11, 2011
Core part of Palitana would serve only Jain food
Ahmedabad, 11 July, 2011
In a historic move, core part of pilgrim town Palitana in Gujarat will be free from not only non-veg but also from root vegetables such as onion, potato, garlic etc.
New decision has been in implemented in 500 meter area around Shetrunjay hill, a holly place of Jains who don’t consume root vegetables.
After Gujarat Pavitra Yatradham Vikas Board’s month-long efforts, more than 40 restaurants and 30 hawkers have been agreed to leave cooking root vegetables that are banned in Jain religion. This means in 500 meter area around the holy mountain, only Jain food will be catered.
Gujarat Pavitra Yatradham Board intends to increase the limit of pure Jain food area to 1000 meter in later stage. Ultimately the goal is to make entire Palitana town free from root vegetables that are banned in Jain religion.
- Names of winners of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE awards 2019 announced, 2 of 21 awardees from Gujarat
- Shri Somnath Trust resumes Light and Sound show after monsoon break
- Former PM Shri H.D. Deve Gowda praises the PM for making of Statue of Unity
- IT raids/surveys at various places in Ahmedabad, Large amount of cash, other suspicious details reportedly found
- Nayara Energy inks contract with thyssenkrupp Industrial solutions for setting up petrochemical units in Vadinar of Gujarat
- Vadnagar - Mahesana, Asarva - Himmatnagar DEMU trains launched