Wedding season to halt for about a month period due to KamurtaDecember 14, 2014
Ahmedabad, 14 December, 2014
The ongoing wedding season in Gujarat will witness about one month long break from 16 December.
The post Diwali wedding season that kicked off on 28 November after Dev Uthi Agiyaras as per the Gujarati Vikram Samvat calendar will be on one-month long halt from 16 December due to onset of Dhanark/Kamurta period which is considered inauspicious for good occasions in traditional Gujarati Hindu families.
The Kamurta period during which good muhurts are unavailable for holding auspicious ceremonies, will end on 14th January(Makar Sankranti or Uttarayan), after which the wedding season will resume.
After four-five months of long period of Chaurmas and unavailability of muhurts, the wedding season this year kicked off on 28 November this year. It ends on 15 December and going to resume post 14 January onwards.
However the NRI wedding season will continue. This is because many NRIs settled abroad only manage to get leave from job during Christmas period. In such cases they don’t mind holding wedding during kamurta, and even traditional Gujarati Hindu families happily agree to them.
- Cold wave and normal to severe cold day conditions prevailed in parts of Gujarat, Naliya records 3.4°C- the second lowest of this winter
- CID crime arrests 26 in connection with Kutch district central cooperative bank scam
- Gujarat govt. contemplating to provide free travel facility to around 8 lakh construction workers
- Railway minister could not participate in Tejas Exp flag off due to delay in another event in central Gujarat: Railway spokesperson
- Paytm targets half a million merchants in Gujarat to use its 'All-in-One QR'
- Ahmedabad - Mumbai Tejas Express train flagged off