Asiatic Lion population up from 411 to 523 in five yearsMay 10, 2015
In a function held at Sasan Gir today, Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel announced final figures of 14th Asiatic Lion Census 2015 in presence of forest officials and media persons among others. In 2010 census the lion population was found to have increased to 411 from 359 in 2005.
In 2015, the population has been 523( 27% up compared to previous census in 2010).
Gir Somnath 44
Amreli 174 (highest increase)
The field survey to count the Asiatic lions in the Gir sanctuary of Gujarat spread over 20,000 sq kms concluded on Tuesday.
Asiatic lions, who are found only in Gir, fall in the “endangered” category of wild animals.
The field exercise for census was held in eight regions in and around the Gir sanctuary and later the task of compiling of the data collected was taken up.
Around 600 teams of enumerators including wild-life experts, government officials, trackers and volunteers of NGOs were involved in the exercise.
The sanctuary was divided in 30 zones and 106 sub-zones for enumeration. Around 2,500 volunteers took part in the exercise which is always conducted in the first week of May.
The area covered in the census is 20,000 sq km, spread over Junagadh, Gir-Somnath, Devbhoomi-Dwarka, Bhavnagar and Amreli districts.
The first lion census was carried out in 1936, when the area was a part of the princely state of Junagadh. It recorded existence of 287 lions.
Forest Minister Mangubhai Patel said:
2500 persons participated in census procedure.64 trainee women were part of this process.7 centers are opened in Gir to give urgent treatment to lions.
- Gujarat govt studying UP and MP laws on Love Jihad: Nitin Patel
- Multipurpose Sports complex, cricket ground inaugurated in Bibipura
- Gujarat CM inaugurates mega mid-day meals kitchenbuilt by Reliance Foundation in Jamnagar
- Night curfew in four major cities of Gujarat extended further
- Ram Janmabhumi Mandir fund collection in Gujarat: Rs. 18.61 crore from Morari Bapu, 11 crore from Govindbhai Dholakia, 5 crore from Kabutarwala
- ટોચના પાંચમાં કોનું ઉતરાણનું કમ્યુનિકેશન કેવું રહ્યું?
- Jamnagar to have a State level Sports Museum named after Jam Ranjitsinh: Rupani
- માધવસિંહના યુરોપ પ્રવાસની પૂર્વભૂમિકા