Saurashtra batsman Cheteshwar Pujara to lead the India A squadJune 29, 2015
Saurashtra batsman Cheteshwar Pujara has been picked to lead the India A squad for the two four-day matches against Australia A in July-August.
In its aim to promote young talent, the selection committee today announced a 15-member squad that will play the four-day matches slated between July 22-25 and July 29-August 1 in Chennai.
Pujara, 27, who has represented India seniors in 27 Test matches, will be leading a team full of both experience and youth.
Upcoming talents like Karnataka batsman Lokesh Rahul (played two Tests for India seniors), Mumbai batsman Shreyas Iyer (created quite an impact in the IPL season gone by), Shardul Thakur and Tamil Nadu off-spinner Baba Aparajith have been given a go to prove their worth.
The bowling department will be bolstered by the experienced Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron, Amit Mishra and Pragyan Ojha apart from Shreyas Gopal and Aparajith.
Players like Tamil Nadu batsman Abhinav Mukund, Rajasthan off-spinner Karun Nair and wicketkeeper-batsman Naman Ojha will also have a chance to make their presence felt for a future look in in the senior squad.
Team: Cheteshwar Pujara (capt), Lokesh Rahul, Abhinav Mukund, Karun Nair, Shreyas Iyer, Naman Ojha, Vijay Shankar, Amit Mishra, Pragyan Ojha, Shardul Thakur, Varun Aaron, Abhimanyu Mithun, Umesh Yadav, Shreyas Gopal, Baba Aparajith.
- News in brief from across Gujarat
- 100 to leave worldly life, become Jain monks in Surat on February 1
- A cheater duping poor patients in public hospital in Vadodara nabbed
- Ahmedabad: Traffic police constable, three towing van team members held for taking bribe
- 8 year old girl injured by leopard in Gujarat
- Locusts have left Gujarat completely due to wind pattern: DAO