6 Shiv Sainiks held for throwing paint on KulkarniOctober 13, 2015
Six Shiv Sena workers were arrested in connection with the paint attack on Sudheendra Kulkarni, a former BJP member and head of a city-based think-tank, earlier in the day.
The arrest came hours after police registered an FIR against unidentified persons for blackening the face of Kulkarni, Chairman of Observer Research Foundation (ORF), ahead of the launch of former Pakistan Foreign Minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri’s book, ‘Neither a Hawk nor a Dove: An Insider’s Account of Pakistan’s Foreign Policy’.
“Police have arrested (six) accused and a further probe is on,” DCP (Zone IV) Ashok Dudhe told PTI.
Among those arrested is Gajanand Patil, Shakha Pramukh (branch chief) of Shiv Sena, said police. The other accused were identified as Dinesh Prasad, Ashok Waghmare, Prakash Husbe, Samadhan Jadhav and Venkatesh Nair, they said.
Black paint was sprayed on the technocrat-turned-columnist for not bowing to Sena’s diktat calling for cancellation of the event over its Pakistan connection. A group of Shiv Sainiks intercepted Kulkarni’s car just outside his Matunga home this morning and painted his face black.
The book launch event was organised by ORF at Nehru Centre in Worli, Central Mumbai, and it took place as scheduled in the evening amidst tight security.
- Cold wave and normal to severe cold day conditions prevailed in parts of Gujarat, Naliya records 3.4°C- the second lowest of this winter
- CID crime arrests 26 in connection with Kutch district central cooperative bank scam
- Gujarat govt. contemplating to provide free travel facility to around 8 lakh construction workers
- Railway minister could not participate in Tejas Exp flag off due to delay in another event in central Gujarat: Railway spokesperson
- Paytm targets half a million merchants in Gujarat to use its 'All-in-One QR'
- Ahmedabad - Mumbai Tejas Express train flagged off