News in brief from across GujaratOctober 15, 2015
– Today is third Nortu of Navratri. While Navratri grounds are already attracting huge crowds, there will be week-end after two days and Navratri will be on top gear during the week-ends and then after.
– Amdavad Municipal Corproation(AMC) organizes Mayor Vijay Padma Garba competition every year. This year the AMC has chosen Bhadra chowk in wall city to host this competition. The chowk is decorated with lights beautifully. The stage has been set up just outside the Bhadrakali Mandir. Maha aarti will be performed here along with the competition. Bhadrakali is considered ‘Nagar Devi’, Goddess of Amdavad city.
– Bootleggers who had attacked the police near Shamlaji are arrested.
– Students in Porbandar joined by local villagers blocked highway near Bhadar bridge seeking construction of Bhadar river bridge which was collapsed a few months back. Locals complain that ST bus traffic has been affected due to collapse of bridge.
– Gir Jungle will reopen for visitors from tomorrow after a four months long monsoon break. Such break is given every year for four months period to allow breeding of lions without any disturbance and also because during the rain, the roads are not motorable inside the jungle.
– Today is the birth anniversary of former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. The Prime Minister while speaking in Delhi in related function said,”I remember Dr Kalam was very fond of Ahmedabad as he was posted there early on during his career, working with Dr Vikram Sarabhai.’
– Today is the anniversary of India’s inaugural flight. Amdavad was part of this flight. On October 15, 1932, JRD soared in a tiny single-engine de Havilland Puss Moth from Karachi with the 25kg load of mail to Bombay via Ahmedabad. This was the nation’s inaugural flight. At Bombay, Neville Vintcent, a former RAF pilot and close friend of JRD, took over from JRD and flew the Puss Moth to Madras via Bellary. Karachi was chosen as the starting point because Imperial Airways terminated there with the airmail from England.
- Clean chit to then CM Narendra Modi in Nanavati Mehta Commission report part - 2 tabled in Gujarat Assembly
- Live: Union Home Minister Amit Shah tables Citizenship (Amendment) Bill in Rajya Sabha
- ADNOC and RIL sign agreement to explore development of Ethylene Dichloride facility in Ruwais
- ACB nabs broker of woman Councillor of SMC taking bribe of Rs 50,000 on her and her husbands behalf
- Nityanand Ashram habeas corpus case: Young daughters of complainant didn't appear, next hearing on Dec. 20
- From the Gujarat Assembly