PM to inaugurate maiden tribal carnival in DelhiOctober 16, 2015
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the maiden edition of the National Tribal Carnival, which will be held in Delhi between February 12 and 17.
This was announced by Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram today during a meeting of the parliamentary consultative committee attached to his ministry.
“The purpose of this carnival will be to showcase and promote various facets of tribal culture on a large scale.
“The idea is to preserve and promote various facets of tribal life relating to culture, tradition, customs and their skills and expose it to the general population with a view to utilising the potential for overall holistic development of the Scheduled Tribes,” said Oram.
Displaying of documented traditional socio-cultural aspects, collection of art/artefacts, cultural performances, demonstration of skills like sports, paintings, traditional healing practices, etc. will be part of the six-day event.
The minister said that panel discussions with experts on issues like tribal health, education, skill development and culture will be part of the carnival.
Around 3,000 tribals from across the country are expected to take part in the carnival which, Oram said, will also feature a ‘pride parade’ by tribal troupes in traditional attire.
It may be recalled that at a review meeting with the Prime Minister in January this year, it was decided that the Ministry of Tribal Affairs shall organise a tribal carnival with cultural troupes from various tribal communities across the country.
- ADNOC and RIL sign agreement to explore development of Ethylene Dichloride facility in Ruwais
- ACB nabs broker of woman Councillor of SMC taking bribe of Rs 50,000 on her and her husbands behalf
- Nityanand Ashram habeas corpus case: Young daughters of complainant didn't appear, next hearing on Dec. 20
- From the Gujarat Assembly
- Bodies of 4 youths missing with car found from a road-side water-body in Saurashtra
- A leopard captured from the area in Gujarat where such man-eater beast mauled several people