Gujarat ATS nabs one from HyderabadOctober 20, 2015
The Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) of Ahmedabad police has nabbed one Ghulam Sheikh who was wanted in a conspiracy to kill Hindu political leaders and carry out bomb attacks to avenge the 2002 Gujarat riots .
ATS Police Inspector R R Sarvaiyah today said that Ghulam Zafar Sheikh (50), a native of Multan Mohalla in Dariyapur area of the city who was on a run in the case since 2003, was nabbed on October 18 from Begumpet area of Hyderabad where he was living since long. He has been brought here today and would be produced before the court for seeking remand.
Ghulam had supplied 140 cartridges to the gang that had planned Jihadi conspiracy (religious war like conspiracy) and declared war of sorts against India after the 2002 riots. The gang had even opened fire at VHP leader Jagdish Tiwary here and planned similar attacks. It also had links with the killing of former Gujarat minister Haren Pandya and planting of bombs in buses, the ATS PI said.
A total of 82 accused including Ghulam were booked in a case of declaring war against the nation and other sections of the IPC. Of them 58 were nabbed and 22 were convicted. Ghulam is the 59 th accused nabbed. Police had seized a total of 35 weapons and 265 cartridges from the gang during a raid, he said.
Ghulam is also wanted in a case under arms act in Shahpur police station of the city. ‘ We are also checking his involvement in other cases,’ Mr. Sarvaiya said.
- News in brief from across Gujarat
- 100 to leave worldly life, become Jain monks in Surat on February 1
- A cheater duping poor patients in public hospital in Vadodara nabbed
- Ahmedabad: Traffic police constable, three towing van team members held for taking bribe
- 8 year old girl injured by leopard in Gujarat
- Locusts have left Gujarat completely due to wind pattern: DAO