Govt approves induction of women fighter pilots in IAFOctober 24, 2015
In a landmark move, government today approved induction of women fighter pilots in the Indian Air Force, the first time when women would be in combat role in the country’s armed forces.
The first women fighter pilots would be selected from the batch which is presently undergoing training at the Air Force Academy, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.
“This progressive step is in keeping with the aspirations of Indian women and is in line with contemporary trends in armed forces of developed nations,” the Ministry said.
It said that the performance of women, inducted into transport and helicopter streams of the IAF, has been “praiseworthy” and at par with their male colleagues.
- 3 nabbed by crime branch in connection with recovery of mobile phones from prisoners of Vadodara central jail
- News in brief from across Gujarat
- 100 to leave worldly life, become Jain monks in Surat on February 1
- A cheater duping poor patients in public hospital in Vadodara nabbed
- Ahmedabad: Traffic police constable, three towing van team members held for taking bribe
- 8 year old girl injured by leopard in Gujarat