Construction work for world’s largest cricket stadium begins at AhmedabadJanuary 16, 2017
Correspondent, Ahmedabad: The construction work for the world’s largest cricket stadium with a spectator capacity of 1.10 lakh being built by the Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) in place of the demolished old stadium in Motera here started today with foundation stone laying by GCA Vice President Parimal Nathwani and Joint Secretary Jay Shah.
Currently Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) of Australia with spectator capacity of around one lakh is the biggest one in the world in this regard. Incidentally, the new stadium here is also designed and architect by M/s Populus which designed the MSG.
The construction work for the massive stadium with 76 corporate boxes (maximum for any cricket stadium in the world), four world class dressing rooms with an estimated investment of Rs 700 crores is likely to be completed in two years time, Mr Nathwani told newsmen on the occasion.
Well known construction firm L & T has won the tender for the construction of the stadium. The total space available for the stadium complex is 63 acres and is more than enough. The stadium won’t have any column construction owing to which there won’t be any obstruction in match viewing from any corner of the stadium. To tackle the traffic Construction work for world’s largest cricket stadium begins at Ahmedabad issue during the matches, the new stadium will have 3 gates instead of the only one in the old one. There are plans to construct a new approach road through riverfront side, Mr Nathwani said adding that the grand stadium once constructed will turn Ahmedabad in to Mecca of cricket in place of the Lords of London.
To a query he said that the the funding for the new stadium is being done by the GCA and the BCCI is also assisting in it. ‘We have enough fund and If the need be additional fund will be raised through other valid means. He also said that the name of the new stadium has not yet been thought of. We may come up with a new name. The idea is open’, he said
There will be a big car and two wheeler parking for the stadium with accommodation capacity of 3000 cars and around 10 thousand cars. The old club house in the stadium complex will also be demolished and a new one will be constructed.
On the occasion the Ranji Trophy winning team of Gujarat was also felicitated.
- A man converses with and touches a wild crocodile, in Karjan; video goes viral
- Vloggers cover Ahmedabad Kevadiya JanShatabdi train journey experience
- Congress appoints Tamradhwaj Sahu as observer for Gujarat local body elections
- State Election Commission of Gujarat announces February 2021 Local body Civic elections programme
- 125th Birth Anniversary of Jhaverchand Meghani to be celebrated across Gujarat
- Gujarat government orders transfers of IPS officers
- In pictures: AMC teams demolish 89 illegal row houses, commercial units in Juhapura
- On eve of Netaji Bose's Jayanti, PM Modi recollects memories of Haripura in Gujarat