27 kg smuggled gold hidden in scrap container imported from Dubai by Ahmedabad based firm seized in GujaratJuly 20, 2017
Bhuj: The smuggled gold from Dubai under the garb of heavy melting scrap though Mundra port in Kutch district of Gujarat seized by customs sleuths is in fact 27 kg by weight and the container carrying it was imported by an Ahmedbad based firm.
Sharing the official information about it a custom official associated with the raid, today said that the cargo imported through entry bill no 245808 dated July 14, was declared as heavy metal steel or scrap (HMS).
‘It was imported by M/S Bhagyoday Enterprise of Ahmedabad through their customs house agent (CHA) Arihant Shipping Agency of Gandhidham. On examination carried by Mundra port customs, 27 kg of gold was found hidden in the scrap,’ he said.
He added that so far no arrests have been made and further investigation was on.
Bhagyoday Enterprise is understood to be associated with steel as well as weighing machine and currency note counting machine business.
Initially it was reported that the seized gold from a container freight station (CFS) was 24 kg by weight but the actual recovery was 3 kg more than that.
This is second major seizure of smuggled gold at Mundra in around two months. Earlier in May this year 52 kg gold worth approximately Rs 15 crores was caught by sleuths of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Gandhidham. It was also brought from Dubai and concealed in the frame of an egg incubator (Poultry equipment). One Harnek Singh from Delhi, was arrested in this connection.
The recovered 27 kg of solid gold bars in the recent incident was worth around 8 crores.
- Air India's subsidiary Alliance Air starts direct Ahmedabad-Kandla flights, terms this route connecting a major port very important one
- PM Narendra Modi's statement at beginning of Winter session of parliament
- Air India, BPC to be sold by March 2020: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde takes oath as Chief Justice of India; his term will end in April 2021
- Ahead of winter session of parliament, PM attends all-party meeting
- Extension works of Ahmedabad Metro Rail up to Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar would commence in June – 2020