CBI arrests absconding Deputy Commissioner of Customs of Mundra in bribery caseSeptember 27, 2017
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) has today arrested an absconding Deputy Commissioner of Customs, Mundra Port in an on-going investigation of a case relating to alleged bribery of Rs. 20 lakh.
The arrested accused will be produced tomorrow before the Special Court for CBI Cases, Ahmedabad.
CBI had registered a case against Deputy Commissioner of Customs, Mundra and a private person on 18.09.2017 for demanding a bribe of Rs. 30 lakh from the complainant, who was working as CHA.
It was alleged that the complainant’s company was engaged by Ahmedabad firm and one of the import consignments of this firm was found to be containing 27 KGs of Gold in July, 2017.
During investigation of the case, the Deputy Commissioner of Customs allegedly demanded Rs. 40 lakh to clear the names of the relatives of the complainant, including his wife.
After negotiation, the demand was reduced to Rs. 30 lakh and complainant was allegedly forced to pay Rs. 10 lakh in July, 2017 itself It was further alleged that the Deputy Commissioner contacted the complainant on different occasions for delivery of balance of Rs 20 lakh as gratification and asked the complainant to deliver the said gratification to one private person.
CBI laid a trap and arrested the private person on 19.09.2017 while accepting gratification of Rs. 20 lakh on behalf of Deputy Commissioner of Customs, Mundra. The Deputy Commissioner of Customs had been absconding since then.
- HSBC to set up IFSC Banking Unit at GIFT City Gujarat
- PM Modi interacts with Google CEO Sundar Pichai ahead of $10 billion India Digitation Fund announcement by Google
- AMC hikes fine for spitting and mask rule violation
- Indian Army to order 72,000 assault rifles from America through Fast Track Procedure
- 138 land plots at GIDC, Chhatar Mittanna, Tankara to be allocated by e-draw through video conferencing
- 3 Months Extension for Re import of Cut and Polished Diamonds