IIMA students to be taught by Shri Pranab MukherjeeSeptember 08, 2018
Ahmedabad: Students across PGPM (Post Graduate Programme in Management), FABM (Food and Agri-Business Management) and PGPX (Post Graduate Program in Management for Executives) programs at Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad will be attending a course called “Public Policy for Inclusive Development of India”.
This brand new course is housed within the JSW School of Public Policy at IIMA and Shri Pranab
Mukherjee, former President of India is to be the faculty for at least 12 out of 22 sessions.
Prof. Vijaya Sherry Chand, Chairperson of JSW School of Public Policy and Prof. Anil Gupta are to be the
professors handling other sessions of the course. The course deals with a broad overview of the interplay
between the desired end of inclusive development and the system of parliamentary democracy in India.
The pedagogy draws on the experiences of Shri Pranab Mukherjee, former President of India to reflect on the
theory and practice of public policy for the inclusive development of India. During the last five decades, Shri
Mukherjee has not only had a ringside view of Indian politics and governance, but has shaped many public
policies and triggered off institutional innovations to execute many of these. The course provides a unique
opportunity for students to learn from the deep insights that Shri Mukherjee alone can share with complete
authenticity and conviction.
Specifically, Shri Mukherjee will be delivering lectures on the following broad themes:
– Constitutional Provisions for Socio-economic Inclusivity: Theory and Parliamentary Practice
– Policy and Institutional Intervention for Financial Inclusion: A Legacy to be Built Upon
– Articulating Policy and Institutional Agenda for Future Transformation of India
Out of these, certain sessions will also include presentations of selected student projects that address
developmental and institutional challenges identified in the beginning of the course.
Talking about this special course, Prof. Vijaya Sherry Chand said, “Listening to Shri Pranab Mukherjee, our
students should develop a better understanding of the politics of inclusive development. In a complex
democratic society such as ours, technically ideal solutions to public problems have to be balanced by the management of conflicts that are inevitable when there are multiple and contradictory pulls. This should also
help in understanding why the idea of inclusion goes beyond narrow economic perspectives on poverty and its
After leaving his office as President, Shri APJ Abdul Kalam had also taken up teaching positions at three IIMs,
including IIMA. At IIMA, Shri Kalam taught a course titled “Globalising and Resurgent India through Innovative Transform”.
- Picture of AMC Mayor with Gujarati script to read out English speech goes viral
- Rupani in Delhi to join BJP campaign
- Sardarpura case: 14 convicts get bail, Supreme Court orders social service
- Car damages BRTS corridor swing gate: AMC to file FIR, recover full cost, tweets Commissioner
- M/s BL Kashyap & Sons commences construction of first High Speed Rail (Bullet Train) Terminal at Sabarmati in Gujarat
- PM Modi addresses Global Potato Conclave in Gujarat through video conferencing, urges scientists for solutions to Mal-nutrition, hunger