JioPhone becomes the largest selling phone in India; WhatsApp arrives on JioPhoneSeptember 11, 2018
Mumbai: In less than two years, Jio has garnered a subscriber base of over 215 Million users, creating a world record of sorts, said the company statement today. While it was evident that most of the 4G smartphone users were adopting Jio and enjoying the world-class services at the lowest price anywhere in the world, a large majority of the feature phone users that constitute two-third of the Indian mobile user base got left out.
Even though the services became affordable, this segment of 500 Mn feature phone users could not afford even an entry level 4G smartphone. This gave birth to the JioPhone, which was launched by Reliance Retail Ltd in August 2017.
The Monsoon Hungama Offers brings down the entry barrier of the JioPhone to only Rs 501. This makes it affordable to 100% of phone users. Jio provides the best-in-class data and true-HD voice calling at the lowest price anywhere in the world, with attractive tariff offers for JioPhone users. JioPhone users are already enjoying premium applications such as JioTV, JioCinema, JioMusic, JioChat, Google Maps and Facebook. Like any other high-end 4G smartphone user, JioPhone users are also able to enjoy entertainment, education, information and other important services, at will.
Akash Ambani, Director, Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, said, “During this movement of connecting the unconnected, many partners came forward to strengthen the cause. One such partner who has really stood by us from the beginning is Facebook and its ecosystem. The result of one such partnership is out for the world to see today. We will be providing WhatsApp, the most used chat application in the world, on all JioPhones starting today. Jio wants to thank the Facebook and WhatsApp team for making this happen.”
After completion of the trials, for the first time, WhatsApp will be available for JioPhone across India. WhatsApp built a new version of its private messaging app for JioPhone, running the Jio-KaiOS, to give people a simple, reliable, and secure way to communicate with friends and family.
The new app offers the best of WhatsApp including fast and reliable messaging and the ability to send photos and videos — all end-to-end encrypted. It’s also easy to record and send voice messages with just couple taps on the keypad. To get started, JioPhone users only need to verify their phone number and then they can begin chatting with other WhatsApp users one-on-one or in groups.
“Millions of people across India can now use WhatsApp private messaging on the best-in-class JioPhone across India,” said Chris Daniels, Vice President, WhatsApp. “By designing this new app for KaiOS, we hope to expand the ability for people to communicate with anyone in India and around the world by offering the best messaging experience possible to JioPhone users.”
In the last one year of JioPhone’s launch:
- JioPhone, launched by Reliance Retail Limited, has become the largest selling phone in India, ever
- Out of every 10 phones sold in the sub-Rs 1,500 price-range, 8 are JioPhones
- The number of Voice Commands used on a JioPhone surpasses that on a smartphone by 5 times
- JioPhone users spend more time using the internet and applications than even smartphone users
- JioPhone users are not just going from unconnected to connected, but are truly unleashing the potential of the JioPhone and the internet together
HOW TO DOWNLOAD WHATSAPP ON JIOPHONE:
- WhatsApp will be available on the JioPhone AppStore starting 10th September, 2018 and will be rolled out on all JioPhones by 20th September, 2018
- On being made available on the JioPhone, users can download WhatsApp on both the JioPhone and the JioPhone 2 by visiting the AppStore and clicking on download
Reliance retail has created a special helpline number ‘1991’ to answer queries on the JioPhone.
- Rupani urges urban authorities to restore rain damaged roads before Diwali
- India’s First-Ever Institute Of Chemical Engineering And Technology To Be Setup In Gujarat
- Water level in Sardar Sarovar Narmada dam touches 133 meters mark for the first time
- BJP councillor arrested in Surat for slapping SMC staffer
- SpiceJet to shift its entire operations at Mumbai to Terminal 2 from October 1
- Gujarat govt set up State Yog Board, appoints Ramdev disciple Shishpal as chairman