Indian Railways developing an E-application to ensure enforcement of labour rights for contract staffSeptember 13, 2018
New Delhi: The Indian Railways is developing an e-application to ensure enforcement of labour rights like minimum wages, payment of wages, etc. for contract staff. Member of Rajya Sabha Shri Parimal Nathwani had raised concerns about the hardships faced by the railway coach attendants on various long distance trains like Shatabdi, Rajdhani, Duranto etc.
In a reply to Shri Nathwani’s letter, Union Minister of Railways Shri Piyush Goyal stated that the Indian Railways is developing an e-application “Contract, Labour Payment Management Portal on Indian Railways” in which details like name, address, aadhar number, bank details, wages paid, etc. of the contrast staff engaged by Railway contractors shall be entered into by the contractors. He further stated that this e-application will ensure enforcement of labour rights like minimum wages, payment of wages, etc. for contract staff.
Shri Nathwani had raised concerns about the low salary paid to the coach attendants in his letter. He had also pointed out that coach attendants get only to two pairs of uniform so they don’t get time enough to properly clean and iron uniforms. Moreover, the time gap between arrival and departure of trains doesn’t allow them enough time to rest.
Shri Nathwani had requested the minister to look into the matter and mull amendment in the contract terms to improve the working conditions, wage structure and facilities of the coach attendants on humanitarian ground. He also wanted the Ministry to ensure that the contractors pass on the stipulated benefits to the fullest to the workers employed by them for the Indian Railways.
In January 2018, Minister of State for Railways Shri Rajen Gohain had told Lok Sabha that there are 94,165 contract labourers in railways and are engaged by contractors themselves directly depending upon the nature and quantum of outsourced work.
- In a surprising 'U' turn, Bhajan singer Hemant Chauhan a day after wearing saffron, claims he had not joined BJP
- Rupani, Nitin, Jadeja to travel to Goa tomorrow to participate in a meeting chaired by HM Amit Shah
- Gujarat cabinet decides to allot 31 hectare land in Waghodia for Rail University at 50% of market price
- Entire claim process under Gujarat Social Group (Public) Accidental Insurance Scheme soon to be online: Govt
- Narmada dam water level at historic 133.19 meter mark at 3 pm on August 21
- Gujarat ACB nabs 3 including RTO clerk and Industry department head clerk for taking bribe