Ahead of Bhadarvi Poonam fair, Amabji traders hold bandh, protesting plastic banSeptember 15, 2018
Ambaji (Gujarat): Days before the famous Bhadarvi Poonam mela in Ambaji pilgrimage town in Banaskantha district of North Gujarat, local business community and street vendors today organized a bandh and also clashed with police to protest against the complete ban on use of plastic in the town.
Police has also detained around half a dozen demonstrators.
After closing their shops, the business community members also tried to block the road near Jodi Vakli circle by keeping burning tyres on the road.
Police had to resort to baton charge to disperse the mob and clear the blockade.
Notably the Bhadarvi Poonam fair in the town attracts lakhs of devotees from across the state and the country many of whom come on foot and offer puja in Amabji temple one of the power-seats of mother goddess. It also give a major boost to the local business.
The fair was also being organized on ‘plastic free’ theme this year. The local business community was against the move saying that it would badly hamper their businesses. They have demanded relaxation in it and permission for use of plastic bags, pouches of more than a certain width.
- Kankaria Lake Front Joy-ride accident case: Court allows 2 more days of remand of 6 accused
- Tax officials including SGST and central excise superintendent held by ACB for taking bribe in South Gujarat
- No good spells of rain likely in Gujarat any time soon
- London based Standard Chartered to start operations at GIFT city shortly, will become first foreign bank at the IFSC
- BJP working president JP Nadda on two-day Gujarat visit from Friday
- Alpesh Thakor, Dhavalsinh Zala join BJP