Two more lions of Dalkhaniya range in Gir die, toll of lions death rises to 23October 02, 2018
Two more lions of Dalkhaniya range in East Gir forest in Amreli district of Gujarat have died during treatment taking the toll of lion deaths in this single range of the forest in last 20 days to 23.
The recent death of two under-treatment lions has taken place in an animal care center.
Notably the death of 11 lions had taken place between September 12 to 19 in Dalkhaniya range and another 12 rescued from the same range have died between September 20 to October 2 during treatment post rescue.
Report from National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune has confirmed presence of viruses in the bodies of 4 dead lions and protozoa caused infections in another 10. More than 25 lions rescued from the Dalkhaniya range have been kept in isolation in Jamwala animal care center. Study about the reports of other lions would be done. Help of experts including 3 from Indian Veterinary Research Institute of Bareilly in UP, 5 from Delhi Zoo and 2 from Lion Safari in Etawah in UP is being taken in this regard. For precautionary measures vaccines etc for lions from the US have also been ordered.
Around 600 lions have been tracked during the September 23 to 29 lions screening campaign in around 3000 sq km area in and around the Gir forests.
Notably, the five yearly Lion Census conducted last time in May 2015 had estimated the population of Asiatic lions at 523 (27% up compared to previous census in 2010). The population was 411 in 2010 and 359 in 2005. As per the 2015 census, the population of lions in Junagadh district was 268, Gir Somnath 44, Amreli District 174 (highest increase) and in adjoining Bhavangar District was 37. Of them there were 109 males, 201 females and 213 cubs.
- Cabinet approves strategic disinvestment of BPCL, SCI, CONCOR, THDCIL, NEEPCO
- Cabinet approves proposal for enactment of Recycling of Ships Bill, 2019 and accession to Hong Kong International Convention for Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships, 2009
- Cabinet approves introduction of IFSC Authority Bill, 2019 in Lok Sabha, after withdrawal from Rajya Sabha
- Surat police lodges FIR against Sahara group head Subrat Roy under charges of fraud, criminal breach of trust and conspiracy
- Nityanand Ashram case - Five days remand of two arrested sanyasinis
- Austria based Constantia Flexibles opens 9th Indian plant in Gujarat