Former minister Sanghani bats for man jailed for attacking lioness in Gir, says he should get attack rather than jailNovember 06, 2018
Amreli: Former Law and Justice minister of Gujarat and prominent co-operative leader Dilip Sanghani today openly came in defense of a man jailed for attacking and seriously injuring a lioness in Khadhadhar area under Khamba in Amreli district in Gir forests last month.
He also said that Mannubhai Devipoojak, who attacked the beast with an axe in self-defense on October 20, should have been given award for his bravery rather than putting him behind bars.
Sanghani told newsmen here that even the section 100 of the IPC gives the right to a man to kill another assailant man in self-defense.
‘In such case why a youth who for protecting his life faced the beast bravely and saved himself, should be jailed? If a man kills another man for protecting his life he can’t be jailed as per the section 100 of the IPC, why a man should be jailed for such an act when the attacker was a deadly beast?,’ Sanghani questioned.
He said that the law under which the man has been jailed for attacking the lioness should be amended.
Notably, Gir spread across three districts of Gujarat in Saurashtra region is the sole abode of Asiatic lions. The incident of attack on the lioness had taken place amid the reports of the death of over 20 lions in Sarasiya vidi area of Dalkhaniya range of Gir.
Sanghani said that he had also fought a long legal battle for another person who had killed a leopard in Bhasa village of Khamba in self defense.
- AMC teams seal eateries for violation of Covid19 pandemic related rules
- Hakubha denies nexus with wanted mafia Jayesh alias Jaysukh; Nathwani posts indicative tweet; another Audio of mafia Jayesh comes to light
- AMC declares 8 new Micro Containment Zones, clears existing 22
- PM Modi makes strong pitch for India's inclusion as permenent member of UNSC
- No State level Navratri Mahotsav this year by Gujarat government
- BJP chief JP Nadda announces National Office Bearers of Party; Bhavnagar MP Bhartiben Shiyal made Vice President
- Bills passed in recently concluded Monsoon session of Gujarat Assembly 2020
- Ahead of assembly seat by-poll, three taluka panchayat members join BJP in Dang