Gujarat HC grants anticipatory bail to Teesta and Javed, directs to appear at Crime Branch on Feb. 15February 08, 2019
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court today granted anticipatory bail to controversial NGO operator Teesta Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand in the Rs 1.4 crore alleged fund embezzlement case related to their NGO Sabrang Trust.Justice J B Pardiwala directed Setalvad and Anand to cooperate with the probe and appear before the investigating agency, the city crime branch, on February 15.
In a word of caution, the judge said the state government can approach the court to get their bail cancelled if the couple does not cooperate in the investigation.
The activist couple had moved the high court in May last year after a lower court rejected their anticipatory bail plea in the alleged fund embezzlement case.
An FIR was lodged against them on March 30 last year by the complainant Raees Khan Pathan, a former aide of Setalvad.
Pathan had lodged a complaint against the duo and some unidentified officials of the HRD Ministry, following which they had been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
It is alleged that both the accused had misused the funds to pay witnesses to make false deposition in some of the post-Godhra riot cases of 2002.
In its earlier submissions, the Gujarat Police had said that the HRD Ministry had granted Rs 1.4 crore between 2010 and 2013 to their NGO for a scheme under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
According to police, the couple had misused the funds, meant for education, for their “personal and political cause”.
- Big push to Atmanirbhar Bharat: Import ban on 101 defence items
- PM launches financing facility of Rs. 1 Lakh Crore under Agriculture Infrastructure Fund
- 78% happy with Modi govt performance, Shah best minister, Yogi best CM: Mood of The Nation Poll
- AMC declares 17 more Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 17
- 1074 new cases of Covid-19 detected in 24 hours in Gujarat
- PM to launch financing facility under Agriculture Infrastructure Fund
- News in brief from across Gujarat
- AMC declares 20 more Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 17