Gujarat Congress MLA faces disqualification threat as court sentence him with 2 year 9 month jail termMarch 01, 2019
Veraval: Congress MLA from Talala in Gir Somnath district of Gujarat, Bhagwan Barad is now facing threat of disqualification as a local taluka court in Sutrapada town the district today awarded 2 year 9 month jail term to him in an over two decade old case of mineral theft.
The court of Judicial Magistrate held him guilty under section 379 (theft) and 420 (cheating) and sentenced him with 2 year 9 month jail term in connection with the case pertaining to theft of mineral worth over 2.5 crore from a Gochar (cow-pasture) land in Sutrapada in 1995.
Barad however got bail in the case.
He said that he was taking legal advice for the next move.
Notably as the section 8(3) of the Representation of the people Act 1951 A person convicted of any offence and sentenced to imprisonment for not less than two years shall be disqualified from the date of such conviction and shall continue to be disqualified for a further period of six years since his release.
- CM inaugurates private multi-specialty hospital in Bopal
- 5000 sacks of paddy reduced to ashes, mobile tower damaged in two incidents of fire in Gujarat
- Now I want Harmeet to see playing and winning medals in Olympics: Arjuna award winner Gujarat TT player's mother
- Ahmedabad witnessing rain in the late evening
- Gujarat govt. soon to declare 'saffron' coloured plain tiger butterfly as state butterfly
- Arjuna Award for Ravindra Jadeja