3 Gujaratis among 5 PIOs confirmed dead in New Zealand shootingsMarch 17, 2019
The Indian High Commission in New Zealand has confirmed the death of five Persons of India Origin including three Gujaratis in the deadly terror attack on two mosques in Christchurch that in all had left at least 49 dead and more than 40 injured.
In a tweet the High Commission said that Mehboob Khokhar (aged around 64 and resident of Juhapura in Ahmedabad city), Asif Vora (58) and his son Ramiz (28) (both residents of Memon Colony in Vadodara) have died.
The other two deceased PIOs were Ansi Alibava (25 yrs, Kerala) and Ozair Kadir (25, Hyderabad).
Notably Khokhar a retired officer of Gujarat Electricity board had gone to New Zealand with wife Akhtar Begum to meet Son Imran. Asif, an insurance agent from Vadodara has also gone to Christchurch with wife Rukhsana to take care of the pregnant wife of Ramiz who had recently given birth to a girl.
- Ahead of winter session of parliament, PM attends all-party meeting
- Extension works of Ahmedabad Metro Rail up to Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar would commence in June – 2020
- ACB in central Gujarat nabs Sarpanch and revenue employee red-handed taking bribe
- Amid ongoing high-voltage drama over Swami Nityanad Ashram run school in Gujarat, Police gives 'clean-chit' of sorts to the religious group
- Union health ministry launches nation-wide SAANS campaign from Gujarat to bring down Pneumonia caused mortality rate in Children
- ECI to establish a Visiting Chair in memory of former CEC T N Seshan: CEC Arora announces in Gujarat