Supreme Court stays Talala by-poll in GujaratApril 01, 2019
Gandhinagar: The Supreme Court has today stayed March 10 notification issued by Election Commission of India for conducting by-poll in Talala Assembly constituency in Gujarat. Talala by-poll was declared after disqualification of Congress MLA Bhagwanbhai Barad by Gujarat Assemblsy Speaker following his conviction bu Sutrapada court in illegal mining case.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi also issued notice to the Election Commission.
The Supreme Court had agreed to hear on Monday a plea by Barad to stay the fresh election in his Talala constituency.
Barad had moved Supreme Court after he failed to get relief from the Gujarat High Court.
Talala by-poll was to take place on April 23 along with the general elections of Lok Sabha.
Supreme Court has stayed assembly bypoll notification by Election Commission for Talala assembly constituency in Gujarat. @INCGujarat MLA was disqualified by speaker & EC declared bypoll in a haste without following the due process of law.
— Amit Chavda (@AmitChavdaINC) April 1, 2019
It's a matter between the Supreme Court and the ECI: Gujarat BJP reacting to SC decision to stay Talala assembly seat bypoll pic.twitter.com/sdX9jWKGdh
— DeshGujarat (@DeshGujarat) April 1, 2019
Court order: Issue notice. Until further orders, there shall be stay of Notificationdated 10.03.2019 insofar as the announcement of bye-elections of Talala Constituency is concerned.
Coram: THE CHIEF JUSTICE MR. JUSTICE DEEPAK GUPTA MR. JUSTICE SANJIV KHANNA
Lawyers for Petitioner(s): Dr. Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Sr. Adv. Mr. Varun K. Chopra, Adv. Mr. Anish Desai, Adv. Mr. Gurtejpal Singh, Adv. Mr. Gautam Talukdar, AOR
Lawyers for Respondent(s): Mr. Tushar Mehta, S.G.Ms. Manisha Luvkumar, Sr. Adv. Ms. Hemantika Wahi, AORMr. Vedant Bhardwaj, Adv.
- Rupani, Nitin, Jadeja to travel to Goa tomorrow to participate in a meeting chaired by HM Amit Shah
- Gujarat cabinet decides to allot 31 hectare land in Waghodia for Rail University at 50% of market price
- Entire claim process under Gujarat Social Group (Public) Accidental Insurance Scheme soon to be online: Govt
- Narmada dam water level at historic 133.19 meter mark at 3 pm on August 21
- Gujarat ACB nabs 3 including RTO clerk and Industry department head clerk for taking bribe
- IRCTC to run Ahmedabad - Mumbai Central Tejas Express