Reliance Brands Limited Marks Its International Foray With Acquisition Of British Toy Retailer HamleysMay 09, 2019
Mumbai/London: Reliance Brands Ltd, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries, and C Banner International Holdings, a Hong Kong-listed company, today signed a definitive agreement for Reliance Brands to acquire 100% shares of Hamleys Global Holdings Ltd, the owner of the Hamleys brand, from C Banner International.
Founded in 1760, Hamleys has over 250 years of celebrated history of being the oldest and largest toy shop in the world and bringing smiles to children all over the world by bringing toys to life. Hamleys truly represents a unique model leveraging the quality and wide range of its toys, combined with the theatre, entertainment and its retail experience. Globally, Hamleys has 167 stores across 18 countries. In India, Reliance has the master franchise for Hamleys, and currently operates 88 stores across 29 cities. This acquisition will catapult Reliance Brands to be a dominant player in the global toy retail industry.
Hamleys opened its flagship Regent Street London store in 1881. This flagship store is set over seven floors covering 54,000 sq.ft, with more than 50,000 lines of toys on sale. It is considered one of London’s prominent tourist attractions, receiving over 5 million visitors each year. Children and teens from all over the world visit the store for its year-round events, parades, demonstrations and elaborate displays.
Commenting on the development, Darshan Mehta, President and CEO of Reliance Brands, said;
“Over the last few years, we have built a very significant and profitable business in toy retailing under the Hamleys brand in India. This 250 year old English toy retailer pioneered the concept of experimental retailing, decades before the concept of creating unique experience in brick and mortar retailing became the new global norm. The worldwide acquisition of the iconic Hamleys brand and business, places Reliance into the frontline of global retail. Personally it is a long cherished dream come true.”
- Ahead of winter session of parliament, PM attends all-party meeting
- Extension works of Ahmedabad Metro Rail up to Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar would commence in June – 2020
- ACB in central Gujarat nabs Sarpanch and revenue employee red-handed taking bribe
- Amid ongoing high-voltage drama over Swami Nityanad Ashram run school in Gujarat, Police gives 'clean-chit' of sorts to the religious group
- Union health ministry launches nation-wide SAANS campaign from Gujarat to bring down Pneumonia caused mortality rate in Children
- ECI to establish a Visiting Chair in memory of former CEC T N Seshan: CEC Arora announces in Gujarat