Five including a policeman injured as two groups clash in North Gujarat after a dispute over Vargodha ceremonyMay 12, 2019
Modasa/Himmatnagar: At least five people including one policeman sustained injuries in stone-pelting incident in Khabhisar village of Modasa taluka in Aravalli district in North Gujarat today after a dispute between two communities over a Vargodha ceremony (taking out a procession with bridegroom sitting on horse’s back before marriage) of a local Schedule Caste youth.
Some vehicles were also targeted and damaged in the violent clash.
Police had to intervene when the Vargodha ceremony was opposed. as it came near a place where a group of women of another community were organizing a religious ceremony and bhajan.
Both sides started stone pelting. Police had to use baton charge to control the situation. Additional force has been deployed there and the situation was tense but under control.
Notably earlier in the day, police had to intervene when a group of people had opposed another Varghoda ceremony of Schedule Caste community in Sitvada village under Prantij Taluka of Sabarkantha district. It was later taken out in presence of police.
These incidents have happened a few days after the incident of boycott of Schedule Caste community in Lhor village of Mahesana district after a Varghoda of a Schedule Caste groom was taken out.
- Gujarat cadre IAS Ajay Bhadoo appointed joint secretary to President of India
- Anandiben Patel appointed as Governor of Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh's threat to stop supply of Narmada water to Gujarat 'childish, unfortunate, shameful, politically-motivated and ill-intended:CM Vijay Rupani
- All of us are fortunate to be a part of the world's largest political party: Nadda in Gujarat
- RIL Q1 results: Profit and revenue beat estimates, Jio reports Rs 891 crore profit, increase of 6.1 percent on sequential basis
- 17 major hospitals in Ahmedabad collected fees from patients with Ma card