Surat fire tragedy: Builders arrested, SMC official suspended, demolition and sealing drives continueMay 27, 2019
Surat: After suspension of two fire department staffers, the Surat Municipal Corporation on Sunday also suspended official Vinu Parmar in connection with fire tragedy of Takshashila building in Sarthana area in which 22 children died.
In other developments, two builders Harshal Vekaria and Jignesh were arrested by police. The builders had illegally created dome structure atop the building and built wall inside to give a space on rent. They were collecting Rs. 25,000 per month rent from coaching/tuition classes.
In one more development, coaching class operator Bharag Butani has been sent to two-day remand.
Meanwhile SMC continued its demolition drive on Sunday across seven zones of city. As many as 27 buildings and 1133 shops were sealed. 499 tuition classes were surveyed, 150 classes were served notices and 26 were sealed.
- Former MLA Mavji Patel joins BJP days before Tharad by-poll
- Gujarat CM dedicates Plasser India heavy rail machinery plant at Karjan in Vadodara
- Train engine derails in Gujarat, rail traffic on Kutch-Mumbai route disrupted
- Jio accuses Airtel, VIL of illegally masking wireline as mobile numbers; asks Trai to slap penalties
- Miscreants cut SBI ATM in Ahmedabad city with gas cutter and take away over Rs 9 lakh in cash
- BJP corporator in Junagadh Abbas Qureshi arrested under PASA for misbehaviour with police