Cyclonic Storm VAYU likely to make landfall on June 13 morning somewhere near Veraval coast, no need of evacuation so far: Chief SecretaryJune 11, 2019
Gandhinagar: Cyclonic Storm VAYU is likely to make a landfall somewhere near Veraval in Gir Somnath district of Gujarat in the morning of June 13.
In the morning at around 0530 am today, it was situated at a distance of 690 km south of Veraval. It likely speed at the time of landfall was between 110 to 135 km per hour. Several coastal districts in Saurashtra are likely to see heavy to very heavy rainfall during this.
Chief Secretary of Gujarat J N Singh today told newsmen that as per the latest information received from the IMD, the cyclone would make a landfall somewhere near Veraval between 6 to 7 am tomorrow. It would be anywhere between Veraval to Mahuva but as per the information so far, it would be near Veraval.
He said that so far no need of evacuation has been felt and if the cyclone somehow changes direction or intensifies in next 24 hours, a call on it would be taken accordingly.
Singh said that CM Vijay Rupani had taken a review meeting in the morning today and again do so in the afternoon. NDRF teams deployed in the coastal Saurashtra and Gir Somnath were coordinating with Army, Navy and coast guards.
‘Awareness among people is being done through loudspeakers, sms and whatsapp messages. The state machinery is fully prepared and equipped to deal with the situation,’ he said.
To a query he said that he would also talk to the Chief Secretary of Odisha about the measures taken during cyclone FANI. ‘The Odisha government along with center had done commendable job during rescue and relief operations during cyclone FANI, I will talk to Odisha CS about his experience and what could be implemented in case the need arises here in Gujarat,’ he said.
- London based Standard Chartered to start operations at GIFT city shortly, will become first foreign bank at the IFSC
- BJP working president JP Nadda on two-day Gujarat visit from Friday
- Alpesh Thakor, Dhavalsinh Zala join BJP
- ICJ rules in favour of India, grants consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav and directs Pakistan to review the death sentence
- Charas worth over Rs 1.20 crore seized from car in North Gujarat, 2 nabbed
- Gujarat CM to visit Delhi to attend first meeting of CMs panel on agricultural reforms