VAYU Effect: Trains to coastal Sauashtra cancelled, short terminated from this eveningJune 12, 2019
Ahmedabad: The Western Railway has completely cancelled at least 16 trains and partially cancelled 3 going towards coastal Saurashtra in Gujarat today in the wake of approaching severe cyclone VAYU.
According to Railway PRO Pradip Sharma, at least 31 trains have been fully and 5 partially cancelled for tomorrow also for similar reasons. These trains go to Okha, Veraval, Porbandar, Bhuj, Gandhidham and Bhavnagar.
It is also runny at least three special trains to evacuate people from the coastal areas. By this evening at least 2.9 lakh people from these areas would be taken to safer places.
Meanwhile according to a press release issued by the railway,several precautionary measures have been taken which were as follows-
1) All the passenger and Mail/Exp trains to these stations are being short terminated/cancelled after 18.00 hrs of 12.06.19 to morning of 14.06.19.
2) The coaching stock presently available at depots and station yards at coastal areas are being shifted to safe places.
3) Special trains with six to ten coaches each will be formed, to be kept in ready condition at nearest safe location to be moved in emergency conditions.
4) WR HQ office and Divisions have been instructed for better coordination with state authorities for passenger convenience.
5) Round the clock manning of Emergency control office at HQ and at Divisional level by Officers of concerned departments for immediate relief arrangement.
6) WR to run one Special train each from Gandhidham, Bhavnagar Para, Porbandar, Veraval and Okha to evacuate all persons from respective areas.
7) All Railway authorities at concerned divisions and HQs including Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd (DFCCIL) and Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd (RVNL) have been instructed to provide adequate man power, material alongwith required machinery like JCBs, tree cutters, water tanks, tractors, generators etc and to be in readiness for any assistance as and when needed. These authorities have also been instructed to maintain constant communication with respective field officials to ensure necessary immediate action.
The cyclone is likely to make a landfall tomorrow on Saurashtra coast.
- CM inaugurates private multi-specialty hospital in Bopal
- 5000 sacks of paddy reduced to ashes, mobile tower damaged in two incidents of fire in Gujarat
- Now I want Harmeet to see playing and winning medals in Olympics: Arjuna award winner Gujarat TT player's mother
- Ahmedabad witnessing rain in the late evening
- Gujarat govt. soon to declare 'saffron' coloured plain tiger butterfly as state butterfly
- Arjuna Award for Ravindra Jadeja