Vadgam MLA Jignesh Mevani booked on school principal’s complaint over a tweetJune 15, 2019
Valsad: Controversial independent MLA Jignesh Mevani has been booked for circulating a video on his twitter handle.
On complaint filed by Bijal Patel, Principal of RM and VM Desai Sarvajanik Vidhyalay, the Valsad town police station has booked Jignesh Mevani on Thursday for circulating a video from abroad with false attribution defaming a school in Valsad in South Gujarat. Mevani has been booked under Indian Penal Code sections for publishing and circulating statement or rumour and defamation. As per the convention, Police informed the speaker of state assembly about registering the offense. Police said it will register statements of all those concerned and collect evidences before taking further action.
Mevani had posted a video on twitter on May 20 this year in which students were being thrashed using a stick by a schoolteacher. He had also tagged Prime Minister of India’s official handle in this tweet.
In his tweet Mevani said: Barbarism in worst form: “(in Hindi) not a single number of group should be left on Whatsapp. Send this video to all. This is Valsad’s RM VM School’s teacher. Share this (video) so much that the teacher and school both shut down.” This is the message I received. @PMOIndia tell us what is this?
Mevani shared the video and text with it, which was already viral on social media, without fact check and put a question to Prime Minister who is from Gujarat.
Mevani, a first time MLA won Vadgam assembly seat in North Gujarat in 2017 general elections as an independent after his meeting with Congress president Rahul Gandhi. Congress had not fielded its own candidate on this secure seat to make a way for Mevani’s victory. Vadgam has sizeable Muslim population. It is a reserved seat for Schedule Caste candidates.
- ICJ rules in favour of India, grants consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav and directs Pakistan to review the death sentence
- Charas worth over Rs 1.20 crore seized from car in North Gujarat, 2 nabbed
- Gujarat CM to visit Delhi to attend first meeting of CMs panel on agricultural reforms
- Honda under its CSR initiative 'Sapno Ki Udan', will provide 100% scholarship to 20 girls for becoming commercial pilots
- L&T Construction led JV secures significant contract for 100 MLD Desalination Plant at Dahej in Gujarat
- Six Congress party Councillors in Botad municipality join BJP