Opening session of 17th Lok Sabha todayJune 17, 2019
New Delhi:The opening session of the new Lok Sabha commences its business on Monday with the BJP-led NDA, which has come back to power with an greater majority in the lower house, hoping to pass crucial bills like the Triple Talaq bill.
The session will commence with administration of oath to 542 members of the 17th Lok Sabha. The election for Vellore constituency in Tamil Nadu was cancelled on charges of money power playing a huge role in the election there. Two more MPs will be nominated by the government from the Anglo Indian community.
Protem Speaker Virendra Kumar will administer oath to the new members.
A former Union Minister, Kumar, elected from Tikamgarh in Madhya Pradesh, was made the Protem Speaker being the senior most MP.
Kumar was elected to Lok Sabha for the first time in 1996 and has been winning all the six elections that have followed.
He will be sworn in as Protem Speaker on Monday morning by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhavan ahead of the start of the Lok Sabha session.
He will be assisted by a panel of senior members including Kodikunnil Suresh from Kerala and Bhatruhari Mahtab from Odisha in overseeing the proceedings when members take oath on June 17 and 18.
The election of Speaker of the Lok Sabha will be held on June 19 followed by a joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament on June 20 when the President will deliver his address, which is customary after General Elections.
There is a lot of curiosity on who will be the new Speaker in the place of Sumitra Mahajan, Speaker of the 16th Lok Sabha, who has not contested the recent elections.
- Karnali in Gujarat stays closed paying respect to Arun Jaitley
- In pictures: Shri Krishna Janmashtami celebrations across Gujarat
- Devotees flood Dwarka and Dakor temples on Janmashtami, idols of Dwarkadhish, Ranchhodraiji decorated with special ornaments
- Two abandoned Pakistani boats found in creek area close to border in Gujarat
- Arun Jaitley (66) passes away
- Racket involved in duping people in the name of call-girls busted in Ahmedabad, 3 arrested