City Congress president resigns ahead of Junagadh Municipal Corporation electionJuly 06, 2019
Junagadh: On the last day of filing nominations for candidature in Junagadh Municipal Corporation (JMC) general elections, city Congress president Vinu Amipariya has resigned today.
It is learnt that Amipara was upset over selection of candidates.
Amipara is Leuva Patidar community leader. He had earlier contested Porbandar Lok Sabha election also unsuccessfully as Congress candidate.
It is understood that Amipara was feeling sidelined by party leader and former Mayor Satish Ahir (Captain) and Junagadh MLA Bhikhabhai Joshi in the procedure of selection of candidates.
Party had to decide the names of 60 candidates for 15 wards of JMC, however due to indecisiveness regarding selection of candidates, many party workers were asked to file nomination forms with a rider that ultimately those who receive party mandate would contest the elections.
On the other hand, BJP has declared the names of all candidates smoothly. While 50 BJP candidates filed nominations yesterday, 10 others filed nominations today. Among those fielded by BJP are former MLA/Counciller Mahendra Mashru, industrialist and Congress turned BJP leader Girish Kotecha, builder Sanjay Koradiya and builder Dhirubhai Gohel. Two who had joined BJP from Congress fold have filed nominations as NCP candidates.
As per the rotation quota, someone from Other Backward Class(OBC) will be Mayor of Junagadh for first two and half years term, while someone from Shedule caste will be a Mayor in the second two and half year term.
BJP had snatched JMC from Congress in previous election by winning 44 of 60 seats while Congress won 16 seats.
Polling for JMC election will take place on July 21.
- Rupani urges urban authorities to restore rain damaged roads before Diwali
- India’s First-Ever Institute Of Chemical Engineering And Technology To Be Setup In Gujarat
- Water level in Sardar Sarovar Narmada dam touches 133 meters mark for the first time
- BJP councillor arrested in Surat for slapping SMC staffer
- SpiceJet to shift its entire operations at Mumbai to Terminal 2 from October 1
- Gujarat govt set up State Yog Board, appoints Ramdev disciple Shishpal as chairman