City Congress president resigns ahead of Junagadh Municipal Corporation electionJuly 06, 2019
Junagadh: On the last day of filing nominations for candidature in Junagadh Municipal Corporation (JMC) general elections, city Congress president Vinu Amipariya has resigned today.
It is learnt that Amipara was upset over selection of candidates.
Amipara is Leuva Patidar community leader. He had earlier contested Porbandar Lok Sabha election also unsuccessfully as Congress candidate.
It is understood that Amipara was feeling sidelined by party leader and former Mayor Satish Ahir (Captain) and Junagadh MLA Bhikhabhai Joshi in the procedure of selection of candidates.
Party had to decide the names of 60 candidates for 15 wards of JMC, however due to indecisiveness regarding selection of candidates, many party workers were asked to file nomination forms with a rider that ultimately those who receive party mandate would contest the elections.
On the other hand, BJP has declared the names of all candidates smoothly. While 50 BJP candidates filed nominations yesterday, 10 others filed nominations today. Among those fielded by BJP are former MLA/Counciller Mahendra Mashru, industrialist and Congress turned BJP leader Girish Kotecha, builder Sanjay Koradiya and builder Dhirubhai Gohel. Two who had joined BJP from Congress fold have filed nominations as NCP candidates.
As per the rotation quota, someone from Other Backward Class(OBC) will be Mayor of Junagadh for first two and half years term, while someone from Shedule caste will be a Mayor in the second two and half year term.
BJP had snatched JMC from Congress in previous election by winning 44 of 60 seats while Congress won 16 seats.
Polling for JMC election will take place on July 21.
- AMC, AUDA, GMRC building roads to World's largest cricket stadium at Motera ahead of its opening
- Gujarat to launch 1,302 programmes to ensure not a single child remain undernourished in Anganwadis by next R-Day: CM
- ACB Gujarat nabs husband of Sarpanch and cluster coordinator for taking bribe to pass bills of toilets built under SBM scheme
- Netherlands to participate as partner in Global Potato Conclave 2020 in Gujarat
- EAM S Jaishnkar to visit Narmada district during January 28-29
- Gujarat asks Qatar for long-term gas supply at reduced price