Updates: 20 inch rain in Vadodara; several trains cancelled, diverted, schools, MSU, airport shutJuly 31, 2019
Vadodara flood: MGVCL has partially restored power in the city. Of the 48 feeders that were shut down Wednesday evening as precaution, 28 have been restored. The 20 feeders that are still submerged are mostly in the Eastern part of the city.
Vadodara flood: Water level at Ajwa reservoir and Vishwamitri river neither going up nor down, steady at 212.50 ft and 34.50 ft respectively as on 4.30 pm. Water therefore not receding from flood-hit areas. Normalcy will restore only when Vishwamitri goes below 31 ft again.
Why flood in Vadodara?
-Heavy rains in upstream catchment areas bring water to Ajwa and Pratappura reservoirs
-Both contribute surplus water to Vishwamitri river.
– Vishwamitri river level goes up, crosses the banks, floods large areas in Vadodara as it passes through city.
When shall flood water recede?
– Rain in upstream catchment areas stop, inflow in Ajwa and Pratappura reservoirs reduce and so as outflows, triggering decrease in Vishwamitri river level in Vadodara.
Crocodiles on roads in Vadodara during flood
Chief Minister’s briefing in the afternoon
-Gujarat government on Vadodara flood:48 of 304 feeders are shut due to water logging,for safety of citizens.They shall remain shut till water recedes.Impacted areas are Indrapuri, Sardar Estate, Karelibag, Mandvi, Panegate, Dandiya bajar, Raopura tower, Harinagar, Gotri and Sama.
– Gujarat govt on Vadodara flood: 5 teams of NDRF are being moved for Vadodara by air from Pune. Presently, 4 teams each of NDRF and SDRF, 2 teams of Army, 2 SRP companies, police and fire team from Surat are deployed for rescue and relief.
– Ajwa reservoir level was at 212.50 ft while Vishwamitri river level at 34 ft at 7.00 am, up from 212.45 and 33.60 ft respectively at 5.30 am. All 6 bridges in Vadodara city are closed. People are advised to avoid movements. Schools/Colleges in city are closed for today.
– Knee to waist deep water logging in affected areas. Cars half submerged in low lying areas. Water inside the houses at places.
– Operations halted at Vadodara Airport till 9 am, tomorrow.
– Affected areas include Sayajigunj- Parshuram Bhaththo, Jamwadi, Dinesh Mill road, Sama-Savli road- Siddharth Bungalows, Ajita Society, Sanjaynagar, Manjalpur – Avdhut Society, Mega More, Vadsar village – Vankar vas, Kansa Residency, Shriji flat, Kamatibaug- Kalyannagar, Narhari Hospital, area behind Bal Bhawan, Jambuva – VUDA houses and societies nearby, Akota- Half area water logged, Mujmahuda-Samrajya and nearby area, Karelibaug – Bahucharaji road, Hathikhana, Tulsiwadi, Jalaramnagar, Ravpura road, Harni road, Ajwa road – Mahavir hall to Kishanwadi and nearby societies
Gujarat CM in late night briefing:
– The city of Vadodara received 20 inch rain in 6-7 hours.
-Rain has stopped, water logging situation is easing
-With overflow at Aajwa dam and Vishwamitri river’s level rising, river water may enter the city.
-Those in river bank areas are requested to shift to safer place for a night.
– We are trying to maintain balance in order to prevent overflow of Vishwamitri river.
– 13 villages in Vadodara taluka are also requested to shift to safer places. Administration has made preparation for food and shelter. Local NGOs have also joined the efforts.
– Power is on in 80% areas. In rest 20% area, substations are water logged. MGVCL teams and officials are working to restore power.
– SDRF, Fire brigade, NDRF are already there. Runway is water logged, but IAF is also ready.
– 400 heavy duty pumps will reach Vadodara by morning and flush the water tomorrow.
-Gujarat CM holds high-level meeting to review the very heavy rain situation in Vadodara city. CM deputes two IAS officers, Vinod Rao and Lochan Sehra to provide guidance to local administration. CM has appealed citizens to extend cooperation in shifting from low lying areas.
– Vadodara district collector has ordered leave in all government, VMC and private run schools in the city. All teaching activities at MS University will remain suspended tomorrow (1st August). Students are asked not to come to campus.
– CM Rupani reached State Emergency Operation Center in Gandhinagar and held meeting with officials of all concerned departments to review the very heavy rain situation in Vadodara and other parts of the State and related plan of action. A decision was taken to move more NDRF and SDRF companies to Vadodara. The Chief Minister also held telephone talk with weather department officials to get first hand details on latest forecast.
– Several trains are cancelled/short terminated/diverted
Gandhinagar: A low pressure area over North Madhya Pradesh and neighbourhood is causing heavy to very heavy rain in parts of Gujarat which is likely to continue in the next four days as well even as life has been thrown out of gear in central city of Vadodara due to almost 10 inches of rain in just 4 hours this afternoon.
Vadodara has seen 260 mm of rain from 6 am to 6 pm today of which 242 mm has poured in just four hours between 2 to 6 pm. Karjan, Dabhoi and Waghodia talukas of Vadodara district have seen 120, 101 and 89mm of rain. Heavy rain has caused severe water logging in several areas disrupting the city traffic including city bus service. Under passes have also flooded. Three local trains have also been cancelled in the wake of heavy rain in central Gujarat. Other districts including Bharuch, Panchmahal,Chhota Udepur etc have also seen heavy rain. Till 6 pm today a total of 194 talukas in all 33 districts have seen rain of which 34 have seen 2 inches or more while 77 have seen one inch or more.
Ahmedabad city is also seeing heavy downpour since late afternoon and has received good amount of rain (Estimated over an inch and a half) till 7 am. Water logging has also been reported from various areas.
In the last 24 hours ending 6 am today a total of 216 talukas of 33 districts had seen rain with maximum 173mm in Jamnagar.
The water level of rivers and dams have surged as the total average rain this season has crossed 42% mark.
High alert has been issued in case of two dams, alert in case of one dam and warning in case of five dams due to rising level of water.
The met department has forecast of more rain tonight and in the next four days.
The synoptic situation, rain warning etc as per the met bulletin today is as following-
MORNING’S GUJARAT TO JHARKHAND ACROSS THE CYCLONIC CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED WITH LOW PRESSURE AREA OVER NORTH MADHYA PRADESH & NEIGHBOURHOOD AND SEEN AT 3.1KM ABOVE MEAN SEA LEVEL PERSISTS. LOCAL FORECAST FOR AHMEDABAD: A FEW SPELLS OF RAIN/THUNDERSHOWER VERY LIKELY.
Weather Warning for next 5 days including today –
DAY 1 (Today): Heavy to very heavy rains very likely at isolated places with extremely heavy falls in the district of South Gujarat region namely Vadodara. Heavy to very heavy rains very likely at isolated places in the districts of Gujarat region namely Ahmedabad, Banaskantha, Sabarkantha, Patan, Mehsana, Chhota Udepur, Dahod, Panchmahal, Anand, Narmada, Bharuch, Surat, Tapi, Navsari, Valsad, Dangs, and in Daman Dadra Nagar Haveli; in the districts of Saurashtra namely Gir Somnath, Junagadh, Bhavnagar, Botad, Amreli, Rajkot andin Diu.
DAY 2: Heavy rains very likely at isolated places in the districts of South Gujarat region namely Valsad, Navsari and in Daman, Dadra Nagar Haveli; in the districts of Saurashtra namely Gir Somnath, Diu.
DAY 3: Heavy to very heavy rains very likely at isolated places in the districts of Gujarat region namely Banaskantha, Sabarkantha, Patan, Mehsana, Valsad and in Daman, Dadra Nagar Haveli. Heavy rains very likely in the districts of Saurashtra namely Gir Somnath and in Diu.
DAY 4: Heavy rains very likely at isolated places in the districts of South Gujarat region namely, Valsad, Navsari and in Daman, Dadra Nagar Haveli.
DAY 5: Heavy rains very likely at isolated places in the districts of South Gujarat region namely, Valsad, Navsari and in Daman, Dadra Nagar Haveli.
- Rupani on one-day campaign tour to Mumbai, here is schedule of his programmes
- 21-day long Diwali vacation 2019 in Gujarat schools to start on 24 October
- Rupani enters 6-seat by-poll campaign by addressing a campaign meeting in Kheralu
- Monsoon withdraws completely from Gujarat today, total 141.98% rain this year
- Gujarat govt grants bonafide industry status to logistic, IT, IT-enabled services and mining sectors
- French Multinational oil and gas company Total S A signs agreement to buy 37.4% stake in Adani Gas Ltd