Former MLA Mavji Patel joins BJP days before Tharad by-pollOctober 17, 2019
In a major boost to BJP before the Tharad assembly by-poll, Former MLA of this seat in Banaskantha district of North Gujarat Mavjibhai Patel today joined the ruling party days before the voting slated to be held on October 21.
Mavji Patel, a popular leader of the Marwadi Patel community which has a sizeable population in Tharad, had won the election in 1990 on Janta Dal ticket. He had later joined Congress and unsuccessfully contested election. In the last election in 2017 he had contested as independent and got over 42 thousand votes but lost.
He was aspirant of Congress ticket for by-poll also.
Patel joined BJP here today during an election meeting of CM Vijay Rupani in presence of former minister and local MP Parbatbhai Patel, due to whose resignation after winning the parliamentary election the Tharad by-poll has been necessitated.
Notably Tharad along with five other assembly segments in Gujarat including Radhanpur Bayad, Amraiwadi, Lunawada, and Kheralu will go for by-polls on October 21.
BJP has fielded Jivraj Patel while Congress had made Gujabsinh Rajput its candidate on Tharad seat.
- Gujarat govt order on class 3 to 8 school exams in August 2020
- AMC declares 12 new Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 24
- 1118 new cases of covid19 recorded in 24 hours in Gujarat; highest 41,647 tests done
- CR likely to visit Saurashtra during 18-20 August
- PM Modi announces Rs 10,000 Crore Trans-Shipment Port In Great Nicobar Island
- India starts work on National War Museum project to showcase its rich military heritage
- Patient recovery rate over 76 per cent in Gujarat: Rupani in virtual meeting with PM
- AMC seals Murtimant Market in Ahmedabad; Gujarat's main hub of mobile phone business