Former MLA Mavji Patel joins BJP days before Tharad by-pollOctober 17, 2019
In a major boost to BJP before the Tharad assembly by-poll, Former MLA of this seat in Banaskantha district of North Gujarat Mavjibhai Patel today joined the ruling party days before the voting slated to be held on October 21.
Mavji Patel, a popular leader of the Marwadi Patel community which has a sizeable population in Tharad, had won the election in 1990 on Janta Dal ticket. He had later joined Congress and unsuccessfully contested election. In the last election in 2017 he had contested as independent and got over 42 thousand votes but lost.
He was aspirant of Congress ticket for by-poll also.
Patel joined BJP here today during an election meeting of CM Vijay Rupani in presence of former minister and local MP Parbatbhai Patel, due to whose resignation after winning the parliamentary election the Tharad by-poll has been necessitated.
Notably Tharad along with five other assembly segments in Gujarat including Radhanpur Bayad, Amraiwadi, Lunawada, and Kheralu will go for by-polls on October 21.
BJP has fielded Jivraj Patel while Congress had made Gujabsinh Rajput its candidate on Tharad seat.
- Crocodile caught from house in Vadodara city
- Fake call center involved in duping US citizens and being run from School premises in Gujarat busted, 6 arrested
- ACB in central Gujarat Tech Assistant of MGNREGA branch taking bribe red handed
- Non-seasonal rain/hailstorm in parts of Gujarat
- AirAsia India launches New Delhi-Ahmedabad flight
- Three-day long winter session of Gujarat assembly during 9-12 December