Even as operation to nab man-eater leopard underway, the beast injures a womanDecember 08, 2019
Amreli: Even as a ‘so-called’ major operation was on to nab the man-eater leopard in Bagasara area of Amreli district, probably the same beast which had so far killed at least 3 people there, attacked and injured a lady in the wee hours today.
Police said that Dayaben Madvi (45) was attacked by the leopard while she was sleeping in her house in Lunghiya village under Bagasara taluka. She has been admitted to hospital. The beast fled after the incident.
Notably, Fifteen to 20 teams of police and forest department had started an extensive operation in areas around Bagasara town in Amreli district last evening to trap one or more supposedly man-eater leopard/leopards which killed at least 3 people in less than two months with two of them being mauled to death within last 3 days.
The latest such killing took place in new Janjariya village around 2 km from Bagasara town late Saturday night when a farm labourer from Rajasthan, Chaganbhai (40) was mauled by a leopard while he was sleeping in an agriculture farm. Earlier another such deaths in areas around Bagasara were reported on December 5 and October 25.
In Amreli district more than half a dozen such killings have reportedly taken place in last few months while in the areas around Gir forests, 17 people have been killed and 66 injured in attacks by leopards in last one year or so.
Amid rising demands of killing such beasts who were attacking people in non-forest areas, the forest department and police have made 15 to 20 teams for the operation to nab the beasts and it is carried out in the night with the help of night vision cameras, CCTV and drone fitted cameras.
- AMC Fire and Emergency Services gets drone, robot to assist fire dousing operations
- Savli MLA Ketan Inamdar takes back his resignation after two hour long meeting with State BJP chief
- Japanese Ambassador to India Inaugurates Japan-India Institute for Manufacturing (JIM), at a Pharma company premises in Gujarat
- Coast Guard rescues 13 Indian crew from Gujarat bound ship
- Indian coast guard conducts maritime search and rescue exercise Re-SAREX- 2020 on Gujarat coast
- Case filed in Central Gujarat against Church priest over alleged religious conversion of a minor boy