Even as operation to nab man-eater leopard underway, the beast injures a womanDecember 08, 2019
Amreli: Even as a ‘so-called’ major operation was on to nab the man-eater leopard in Bagasara area of Amreli district, probably the same beast which had so far killed at least 3 people there, attacked and injured a lady in the wee hours today.
Police said that Dayaben Madvi (45) was attacked by the leopard while she was sleeping in her house in Lunghiya village under Bagasara taluka. She has been admitted to hospital. The beast fled after the incident.
Notably, Fifteen to 20 teams of police and forest department had started an extensive operation in areas around Bagasara town in Amreli district last evening to trap one or more supposedly man-eater leopard/leopards which killed at least 3 people in less than two months with two of them being mauled to death within last 3 days.
The latest such killing took place in new Janjariya village around 2 km from Bagasara town late Saturday night when a farm labourer from Rajasthan, Chaganbhai (40) was mauled by a leopard while he was sleeping in an agriculture farm. Earlier another such deaths in areas around Bagasara were reported on December 5 and October 25.
In Amreli district more than half a dozen such killings have reportedly taken place in last few months while in the areas around Gir forests, 17 people have been killed and 66 injured in attacks by leopards in last one year or so.
Amid rising demands of killing such beasts who were attacking people in non-forest areas, the forest department and police have made 15 to 20 teams for the operation to nab the beasts and it is carried out in the night with the help of night vision cameras, CCTV and drone fitted cameras.
- Gujarat govt order on class 3 to 8 school exams in August 2020
- AMC declares 12 new Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 24
- 1118 new cases of covid19 recorded in 24 hours in Gujarat; highest 41,647 tests done
- CR likely to visit Saurashtra during 18-20 August
- PM Modi announces Rs 10,000 Crore Trans-Shipment Port In Great Nicobar Island
- India starts work on National War Museum project to showcase its rich military heritage
- Patient recovery rate over 76 per cent in Gujarat: Rupani in virtual meeting with PM
- AMC seals Murtimant Market in Ahmedabad; Gujarat's main hub of mobile phone business