Election on 4 Rajya Sabha Seats of Gujarat to be held this year, tenure of 3 BJP and 1 Congress MP to completeJanuary 01, 2020
Gandhinagar: Election for 4 Rajya Sabha seats in Gujarat, of which 3 are currently with the ruling BJP and one with Congress, would be held this year.
The terms of BJP RS MPs Chunibhai Gohel, Lalsinh Vadodiya and Shambhu Prasad Tundiya and Congress’ Madhusudan Mistry would complete in April this year.
Looking at the current arithmetic of the state assembly BJP and Congress would get 2 seats each now if no cross-voting happens. In the 182 member assembly, BJP has 103 seats while Congress has 72.
In Gujarat, the home state of PM Narendra Modi, BJP had won all the 26 Loksabha seats for the second consecutive time in the last election but in Rajyasabha Congress has got 4 of the 11 seats from the state quota. The record of maximum number of five times of victory in RS election from Gujarat is also with Congress treasurer Ahmed Patel.
Notably, during the RS bypoll on two seats vacated by union home ministers Amit Shah and Smriti Irani, BJP again emerged victorious last year.
- Live: Namaste Trump in Gujarat
- In pictures: Amdavad ahead of Trump-Modi visit
- ‘PM Modi a friend of mine’, says Trump as he leaves for maiden India visit
- Clash between two communities in Central Gujarat village again, 3 houses burnt down
- HM Amit Sah reviews preparations for Namaste Trump event in Gujarat; PM Modi to arrive tomorrow morning
- Trumps to be served Khaman, Kaju Katri during their visit