Two special trains with 2,300 migrant workers leave from GujaratMay 02, 2020
Gandhinagar: Two special trains, with over 2,300 migrant workers from Odisha and Uttar Pradesh, left from Gujarat on Saturday, officials said.
One Shramik special train, with 1,127 passengers, left from Surat for Puri in Odisha. This was followed by a second special train leaving from Ahmedabad for Agra with 1,217 migrant workers onwards.
“The trains were organized following requests from the concerned states. The passengers were screened at the railway stations, and only those found asymptomatic were allowed to board. We will also ensure that the passengers maintain social distance during the travel,” said Vipul Mittra, additional chief secretary, Labour and Employment department.
Earlier in the day, the Gujarat government appointed Mittra as the nodal officer to facilitate the smooth movement of migrant workers, pilgrims, tourists, students, and other persons through special trains. The move was also aimed at better coordination with Railways, Ministry of Home Affairs, the Divisional Railway Managers (DRMs), and other authorities.
Mittra said that more trains would be run depending on the requirement and requests from states.
He also said that he is in constant touch with ACS Home Avneesh Awasthi in UP and other states to ensure smooth and systematic movement of people through the special trains. Since UP is receiving people from all over we want this to be staggered and systematic.
- ACB Gujarat nabs Jail Superintendent, jailer in Rs. 1.32 lakh bribe case
- PM Modi wearing a special Pagh from Jammagar
- Live: State level Republic Day function of Gujarat at Dahod
- Mohan Bhagwat unfurls national tricolor at RSS Gujarat headquarters
- Live: 72nd Republic Day celebrations in New Delhi
- Vadodara politician attacked by Water supply department official of VMC; video goes viral
- Keshubhai Patel conferred with Padma Bhushan, Naresh Mahesh Kanodia Padmashri posthumous
- Vadodara - Ankleshwar Express Way by November 2021