1540 cooperative banks with nearly Rs 5 lakh crore assets brought under RBI supervisionJune 24, 2020
New Delhi: The Union government on Wednesday announced approval to a decision to bring 1,540 cooperative banks that hold close to Rs 5 lakh crore worth of deposits from 8 crore lakh account holders, under the purview of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). These banks will be supervised by the RBI in the same fashion as the scheduled banks, offering protection to depositors and reducing the space for mismanagement.
“All urban cooperatives and multistate cooperative banks are being brought under the supervision of the Reserve bank of India. There are 1,540 such banks that hold close to Rs 5 lakh crore worth of deposits from over 8 crore lakh account holders. The move to bring them under the RBI will give depositors the assurance that their savings are safe in these banks,” Javadekar said.
अपने देश में 1,482 अर्बन कॉपरेटिव, 58 मल्टीस्टेट कॉपरेटिव बैंक है।आज इनके बारे में अध्यादेश पारित किया है, यह राष्ट्रपति के पास जायेगा।यह सभी बैंक तुरंत प्रभाव से RBI के सुपर विज़न पावर में आजायेंगे। इससे मूल फायदा यह होगा की जमाकर्ताओं को यकीन मिलेगा की हमारा पैसा सुरक्षित रहेगा pic.twitter.com/ACI6GU3Rxo
— Prakash Javadekar (@PrakashJavdekar) June 24, 2020
Earlier this year in February, finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman had announced the government’s intention to bring the cooperative banks under RBI’s supervision and said that it will be done through an amendment to the Banking regulation act. Javadekar said the government had issued an ordinance in this respect on Wednesday.
According to the new dispensation, the appointment of CEOs in such cooperative banks will now require prior approval from the regulatory authority- the RBI.
- Indian Army to order 72,000 assault rifles from America through Fast Track Procedure
- 138 land plots at GIDC, Chhatar Mittanna, Tankara to be allocated by e-draw through video conferencing
- 3 Months Extension for Re import of Cut and Polished Diamonds
- Qualcomm Ventures, investment arm of Qualcomm incorporated to invest Rs. 730 crore in Jio Platforms
- AMC declares 14 new micro containment areas, removes one
- 879 new cases of Covid-19 detected in Gujarat in 24 hours