PETA billboard in Ahmedabad urges people to protect cows and go leather-free on Raksha Bandhan; Netizens ask, are Rakhis ever made of leather?July 16, 2020
Gandhinagar: A billboard of animal rights advocacy group PETA in Jivraj Park – Vejalpur area of the city has triggered uproar on social media platforms. The billboard, appeals people to give up leather to protect the cows on the occasion of Hindu festival Raksha Bandhan. Netizens in their social media posts are asking, what is the connection of leather and Raksha Bandhan? Rakhis that are tied on Raksha Bandhan day are never ever made of leather! Leather is nowhere used while celebrating Raksha Bandhan! Netizens link PETA campaign to old tendency of environment activists and animal right groups to target and tarnish Hindu festivals.
City based Vijay Thaker in a tweet pointed out: It is totally appreciated that “PETA” is campaigning for leather-free Raksha Bandhan.. (God knows whether leather is used to make Rakhi or not !)
But I am waiting this kind of campaigning for Bakra Eid.
This is totally appreciated "PETA" campaigning for leadher free Raksha Bandhan.. (God knows either leadher is being used in Rakhi or not !)
I am waiting this kind of campaigning for Bakrid @PetaIndia #rakshabandhan #jivdaya #bakrid pic.twitter.com/EUfnlqbzAE
— विजय ठाकर (@VIJAYTHAKERJI) July 15, 2020
In response to number of comments questiong PETA’s Facebook post linking Raksha Bandhan with leather, PETA India replied: We didn’t say rakhis are made of leather. We said Raksha Bandhan is a good day to extend protection to cows who are our sisters under the skin by taking a pledge to go leather-free, for life. That’s a message all kind people can get behind. For Eid, PETA India’s billboard campaign against Bakried is already up in Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai. We don’t only suddenly wake up to the fact that animals are slaughtered on Eid. That’s why PETA promotes vegan every single day. In a vegan world, there’d be no animal sacrifice for Eid.
- Viraat arrives off Alang coast after final journey
- Five Bills on the second day of Monsoon Session of Gujarat Assembly today
- Gujarat Assembly passes two bills on the first day of Monsoon Session 2020
- AMC declares 14 new Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 20
- AMC seals famous food joints for pandemic rules violations
- Jio Cricket Play Along begins with cricket season
- Gujarat CM announces Rs. 3700 crore package for assistance to farmers hit by excess rains
- Gujarat Assembly Monsoon Session 2020: Details of first day of business