World Heritage Status: UNESCO team to examine Dholavira in upcoming SeptemberJuly 16, 2020
New Delhi: Union Culture minister Prahlad Singh Patel today said, a team of United Nations (UNESCO) will be visiting Dholavira in Gujarat in upcoming month of September. Patel suggested that Gujarat government should complete the road connectivity works to Dholavira before September to complement the efforts for World Heritage status to Dholavira and other benefits.
Patel was speaking in a virtual function from Delhi for inauguration and ground breaking of Rs. 125 crore tourism development projects in Gujarat in presence of Chief Minister Rupani.
India has submitted two nomination dossiers namely ‘Dholavira: A Harappan City’ and ‘Monuments and Forts of Deccan Sultanate’ for inclusion in the World Heritage List for the year 2020. UNESCO team will visit these places to check the claim.
Dholavira: A Harappan City
The City of Dholavira located in Khadir island of the Rann of Kutch (Gujarat) belonged to the mature Harappan phase.
It was excavated by R.S Bisht in 1985.
It demonstrates a highly organised system of town planning with perfected proportions, street-pattern and an efficient water conservation system that supported life for more than 1200 years (3000 BCE to 1800 BCE) against harsh hot arid climate.
The water conservation methods of Dholavira are unique and measures as one of the most efficient systems of the ancient world.
The presence of a three-tier zonation comprising of a distinct upper (citadel, bailey) and middle (having a distinct street-pattern, large scale enclosure and a ceremonial ground) towns enclosed by a lower town (with narrower streets, smaller enclosures and industrial area) – distinguishes the city of Dholavira from other metropolises of the Indus Valley Civilisation.
- Viraat arrives off Alang coast after final journey
- Five Bills on the second day of Monsoon Session of Gujarat Assembly today
- Gujarat Assembly passes two bills on the first day of Monsoon Session 2020
- AMC declares 14 new Micro Containment Areas, clears existing 20
- AMC seals famous food joints for pandemic rules violations
- Jio Cricket Play Along begins with cricket season
- Gujarat CM announces Rs. 3700 crore package for assistance to farmers hit by excess rains
- Gujarat Assembly Monsoon Session 2020: Details of first day of business