Narendrabhai Modi becomes India’s longest serving Non-Congress Prime Minister; 4th longest serving Prime Minister overallAugust 13, 2020
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has become the longest serving non-Congress Prime Minister of India.
Earlier late Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was the longest serving non-Congress Prime Minister. Vajpayee was Prime Minister for 13 days in 1996 and for 2,256 days in the second and third terms during 1998-2004.
PM Modi has now surpassed that tenure.
India’s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru tops the list of longest serving Prime Ministers with total tenure of 6,130 days, while his daughter Indira Gandhi remains the second longest-serving prime minister with 5,829 days in office. Manmohan Singh has been the third longest-serving prime minister of India. Atal Bihari Vajpayee, previously the fourth longest serving Prime Minister had been in office for 2,268 days over three terms. Prime Minister Modi has now surpassed Vajpayee’s tenure to become the 4th longest serving PM in Indian history!
After Nehru, Manmohan Singh and Narendra Modi are the only prime minister to have been re-elected to office on completion of a full five-year-term.
Modi had also been the longest serving Chief Minister of Gujarat in the past.
If we look at all PMs so far and also consider their tenures as Chief Ministers, Modi becomes the longest serving elected head of a Government in India.
- Government of India issues new Guidelines for Re-opening
- 1390 new cases of Covid-19 reported in Gujarat in 24 hours
- AMC declares 11 new Micro Containment Zones; clears existing 10
- Keshubhai Patel reappointed as Chairman of Shri Somnath Trust for one more year
- BrahMos Missile Featuring Indigenous Booster Successfully Flight Tested
- Gujarat gets Rs 171 crore under COVID-19 Package of Centre; also gets testing equipment, reagents, PPE, N95, HCQ , ventilators
- 25 per cent cut in tuition fees of schools across all education boards in Gujarat; 100 per cent waiver in fees for other activities
- General Atlantic to invest Rs. 3,675 crore in Reliance Retail Ventures