From negative revenues to revenue market share leader; Jio earned Rs 920 crore in Gujarat in June quarterSeptember 04, 2020
Gandhinagar: Fifth September is been celebrated for many reasons including Teachers’ Day, International Day of Charity and few also remember this date forChaturchallenging Rancho in the movie ‘3 Idiots’ on this date. Apart from these, 5th September is also being remembered for beginning of data revolution. Yes, Reliance Jio was launched on that day in 2016.
With launch of Jio, the past four years has changed the life and lifestyle of every citizen of India, including Gujarat. People are now do not bother for expensive mobile bills and do not have the limited access to data.
In case of Gujarat, the monthly bills used to be over Rs1,200 to Rs1,500 where in voice services used to contribute more than 70%. Post launch of Jio, the monthly expenditure on mobile bill has now drastically fallen to less than Rs250 in which voice services are now negligible.
After Jio launched its services in Gujarat, the operator posted negative revenues for couple of quarters. But slowly and gradually, due to better and affordable services, the revenue of Jio increased to Rs920 crore.
Now, almost every second penny earned by telecom industry, earned by Jio in Gujarat. Operator is not only revenue market leader but also enjoys 49% revenue market share among four telecom operators.
As per financial reports of telecom industry issued by telecom regulatory, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai), only Jio posted growth in adjusted gross revenue (AGR) in Gujarat in the quarter ended on June 30,2020, compared with the quarter ended on March 31, 2020. The report says that the AGR or revenue of all telecos fell by 5% to Rs1,880 crore.
During the period, the revenue of Jio increased by 16% to Rs920 crore in June 2020 quarter. Airtel and Vodafone Idea witnessed fall of 7.5% and 25% in the revenue during the period in Gujarat. Airtel’s revenue was Rs271 crore while Vodafone Idea posted Rs587.52 crore of revenue in the quarter ended in June 30, 2020 in Gujarat.
Trai reports didn’t mention BSNL financials. But the report reveals that Jio’s share in revenue is 49% followed by Vodafone Idea with 32% and Airtel with 14%.
- BJP chief JP Nadda announces National Office Bearers of Party; Bhavnagar MP Bhartiben Shiyal made Vice President
- Bills passed in recently concluded Monsoon session of Gujarat Assembly 2020
- Ahead of assembly seat by-poll, three taluka panchayat members join BJP in Dang
- 'Have just 1 car, sold jewellery to pay legal fees': Anil Ambani
- Japan - India Summit telephone talk takes place between PM Modi and new PM of Japan Suga Yoshihide
- Bilateral Maritime Exercise Between Japan and India (JIMEX 20) to Commence off West Coast of India
- Centre sanctions 250 electric buses for two cities of Gujarat; also approves 50 charging stations
- When world was using space for military domination, Dr Sarabhai thought its use for fast-track development: President Kovind