BJP strength in Gujarat Assembly at 111 as 8 new MLAs take oathNovember 19, 2020
Gandhinagar: 8 newly elected members of legislative assembly (MLAs) today took oath at the State assembly complex here.
They are Pradyumansinh Jadeja (Abdasa) , Brijesh Merja (Morbi) , Kiritsinh Rana (Limbdi) , Atmaram Parmar (Gadhda) , JV Kakadia (Dhari) , Akshay Patel (Karjan) , Vijay Patel (Dang) and Jitu Chaudhary (Kaprada).
While seven MLAs took oath at one go, Akshay Patel was late and therefore took oath inside the chamber of State assembly Speaker Rajendra Trivedi.
All 8 MLAs are from ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). They were elected in recently held 8-seat by-elections, polling for which took place on November 3 and counting on November 10.
5 of 8 who took oath today were outgoing Congress MLAs. They had resigned from the State assembly ahead of Rajya Sabha election early this year. They then joined BJP and contested by-polls as BJP candidates.
With this, the strength of ruling BJP in State assembly is now 111, while Congress is down to 65, Sharad Pawar led Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) 1, Chhotu Vasava led Bharatiya Tribal Party 2 and independent 1.
The State assembly has 180 out of 182 MLAs at present, as two seats Dwarka and Morwa Hadaf are in litigation in the Supreme Court and the High Court and their status is unclear.
Post year 2017 general elections of Gujarat assembly, BJP won 99 seats, Congress 77, independents 3, BTP 2, NCP 1 in 180-seat assembly. Three years down the line, Congress is down to 65 while BJP is up at 111. DeshGujarat
- State Election Commission of Gujarat announces February 2021 Local body Civic elections programme
- 125th Birth Anniversary of Jhaverchand Meghani to be celebrated across Gujarat
- Gujarat government orders transfers of IPS officers
- In pictures: AMC teams demolish 89 illegal row houses, commercial units in Juhapura
- On eve of Netaji Bose's Jayanti, PM Modi recollects memories of Haripura in Gujarat
- Gujarat government to recruit 100 journalists
- Gujarat govt - Adani sign MoU to set up India's largest multi-model logistic park at Virochannagar near Sanand
- Gujarat Tableau to showcase Modhera Sun Temple in Republic Day Parade in New Delhi