Govt of India bans exports of Remdesivir injectionsApril 11, 2021
New Delhi: The Government of India has suspended exports of anti-viral drug Remdesivir and Remdesivir Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) amid its high demand due to rising Covid-19 cases. Seven Indian companies produce Remdesivir injections under a voluntary licensing agreement with Amrican company Gilead Sciences, with an installed capacity of around 38.80 lakh units/month.
“India is witnessing a recent surge in COVID cases. As on 11.04.2021, there are 11.08 lakh active COVID cases and they are steadily increasing. This has led to a sudden spike in demand for Injection Remdesivir used in the treatment of COVID patients. There is a potential of a further increase in this demand in the coming days. In light of the above, Government of India has prohibited the exports of Injection Remdesivir and Remdesivir Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) till the situation improves,” the government said in an order.
The order also said that all domestic manufactures of Remdesivir injections have been advised to display on their website, details of their stockists or distributors to facilitate access to the drug.
“Drugs inspectors and other officers have been directed to verify stocks and check their malpractices and also take other effective actions to curb hoarding and black marketing. The State Health Secretaries will review this with the Drug Inspectors of the respective States/UTs,” the order reads.
- Rainfall continuing in Ahmedabad; two gates of Vasna barrage opened by AMC
- 1081 poles, 40,000 trees felled, 159 roads damaged, power cut in 2,437 villages, 3 deaths: Rupani on Tauktae cyclone impact
- Power supply affected in over 4,000 villages due to cyclone Tauktae: GUVNL
- Tauktae moving at 10 kmph speed in Amreli district; gradual weakening begins
- No report of any death due to Tauktae cyclone: Gujarat govt official
- First batch of anti-COVID drug 2-DG developed by DRDO launched
- Day-time restrictions and night curfew to continue for 3 more days: Rupani
- AMC declares two more Micro Containment Zones, removes existing 30